Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to find sync speed.

benfphillips
Grafter

Trying to find sync speed.

Hello,

Just a quick one, and I'm not even sure if it's possible.

My Home Network setup runs like this BTOR Modem --> R7000 router (tomato firmware) PPPOE Connection ---> LAN Devices. As I don't think you can pull stats from the BTOR modem I can't get a gauge on the sync speed so I was wondering if it's somewhere within my Plus.net account?

Obviously I can run the HubOne ---> R7000 ---> LAN  however doing this causes me an issue because each device has it's own NAT which means port forwarding needs to be done twice (also UPNP doesn't work) and I don't think there's a telnet feature like the old thomson routers where you can force it into a bridge mode.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Trying to find sync speed.

If you have an Openreach HG612 FTTC modem, it can be unlocked.  Then just wire LAN2 port from HG612 to spare LAN port on R7000, to provide you with telnet access to HG612.

Default LAN IP address of R7000 and unlocked HG612 is 192.168.1.1, so you would need to change one of them to avoid IP address conflict too.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
benfphillips
Grafter

Bill,

Many thanks for the reply. It appears to be the ECI modem unfortunately.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

ECI and Hub One are too difficult to unlock and requires soldering.

fwiw, if you are just interested in occasionally checking the downstream line speed, you could perhaps just run the BT wholesale tester ?

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

After completing basic speed test, click on Further Diagnostics, if it works.

The downstream IP profile reported is only a few percent less than actual downstream line speed.

I think the upstream IP profile is a less reliable indicator of actual line speed..

eg. on 55/10mb FTTC fibre, I get same 53.1/10mb results every time.

My own line is capable of 60/16mb (when I used to have 80/20mb fibre).  A couple of weeks ago, I noticed the downstream IP profile had mysteriously dropped from usual 53.1 to 50.5mb.  I rebooted my ECI modem to restore the 53.1mbps speed.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-