cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to configure Unifi USG

tom_tom

Trying to configure Unifi USG

Hi everyone,

I've decided to invest in a few Ubiquiti Access Points to boost the wifi signal in my home and garden. At the same time I purchased a USG and Cloud Key.

I'm currently in the process of trying to setup the new network.

Structure is currently: Phone line in > Plusnet One hub > LAN 1 port to Ubiquiti USG > Laptop (for configuration - will connect to switch in future).

When connected I cannot access the internet.

• What settings do I need to use? (DHCP, PPPoE or Static IP)
  • Do I need to disable any settings on the Plusnet One hub that will be handled by the USG? (DHCP server, firewall etc).

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tom

1 REPLY 1
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Trying to configure Unifi USG

@tom_tom  im not familiar with the USG but from what I can see, by default it expects to be connected to a modem and that it will make the PPPoE connection. That isnt going to work since the Hub one cannot be configured as a modem only (bridge mode).

Two alternatives I can see :-

1) Set the USG Wan to DHCP so that it gets an IP from the Hub one. You will also need to change the LAN subnet on the USG from 192.168.1.x to something different to that of the Hub one , I suggest 192.168.0.x.

2) Set the USG WAN to static IP, with an IP of 192.168.1.1 and gateway of 192.168.1.254 , and disable DHCP.

Disadvantage of 1 above is that you have a double-nat situation which may cause problem if you need port fowarding for games , voip etc

With 2 , I'm not sure if it will work, but I'm hoping that it effectively turns the USG into access point mode.

For both of these , I would suggest disabling the wifi on the Hub one.

If 2 works, then you could possibly experiment with using the DHCP server on the USG instead of the Hub one, since it's more configuarable in terms of DNS servers I would guess.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.