cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting new install...

bluntindustries

Troubleshooting new install...

Hi,
  I had my install of fibre today having used an adsl connection for last several years. In preparation I had bought a new Billion BiBap 8800NL wireless adsl2 or vdsl router so I could use the same device before and after the switch to fibre.
So today the engineer came and installed the fibre and I can see that my router connects to DSL with 2.9MB upload and 26MB download. However, the "Internet" light doesn't come on on the router and I don't actually get any internet traffic. Username and password are definitely right, I have a blank "Service Name" set and various other default settings that I think are right,
Having struggled with it for a while i'm trying to go back to basics to see if I can work out what the issue is. So my question is this, can I connect using just a BT Openreach modem on a single device to troubleshoot the connection?  What I mean is....
The engineer left me with a VDSL modem (BT Openreach device) so i've taken my router out of the equation and i've done the following.....
1) Plugged in and switched on the BT Openreach VDSL modem, connecting it to the line as normal.
2) All the lights come on including the DSL light so I have a connection there.
3) Plug an ethernet cable into the LAN port on the back of the BT Modem and connect that straight into my laptop ethernet port.
4) The NIC gets an IP address but I can't get it to connect to the internet still.
Should I expect to be able to connect directly this way?
Do I need to set a specific IP address on the NIC to make it work this way or does the modem include DHCP?
Anyone any ideas about what might be the issue? I think that maybe my setup isn't complete at the plusnet end but i'm not sure. Can anyone from plusnet see what is going on from their end?
Beyond this going back to basics I can't see why the traffic isn't flowing. Help anyone?
cheers
  Carey
8 REPLIES 8
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Troubleshooting new install...

Quote from: bluntindustries
. So my question is this, can I connect using just a BT Openreach modem on a single device to troubleshoot the connection?  What I mean is....

To answer this, yes you can! http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
I'm not used that router myself, so I'm hopeful that someone else who has can shed some more light on the setup for it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bluntindustries

Hi - thanks for the swift reply. I'll give that a try. If I can connect with one device then i'll work back to the router and look at the setup on that as well.
I figure that I must be able to either get the router to connect direct using its built in modem (which is how it should work) or I should at least be able to continue using the BT Openreach modem and then connect it to my router in the same way as I would be able to with the plusnet default router.
Assuming I was using a default plusnet router (Is it a Technicolor) would I have to login to the router and set the connection up manually or is it all configured and ready to go? Can someone send me a screenshot of a configured Technicolor router so I can compare the settings? It must be bridging the connection to the modem on the WAN port I assume.
cheers
  Carey
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Our routers have different firmwares which convert one of the ethernet ports into the connection to the VDSL modem on fibre. So there may be an option in the Billion to switch to a PPPoE connection and continue to use the modem alongside.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

According to the specification for the 8800NL http://www.billion.uk.com/product/vdsl/8800NL.htm you can configure ethernet port 4 as a WAN port for pppoe and connect it to the BT modem
edit: according to the manual , it's looks like you change the WAN port ( page 94 ) to ( i would guess! ) Ethernet

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bluntindustries

Thanks for the useful suggestions everyone. The connection did work from a direct dial up via the modem, so I tried getting my router to dial out via the modem. After an hour or so of trying that with no luck I went back to trying to get the router's inbuilt modem to dial the connection directly.......and it worked. Annoyingly I can see no particular reason why. The DSL connection details are all the same, maybe in deleting the connection and setting it up again and restarting I dislodged something somehow but it definitely works so all is well.
cheers
  Carey
bluntindustries

Maybe is was the mystereous - go and have a brew and wait 15 mins that are referenced in the router config guides! is there some setup time lag involved here?
Carey
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

If all else fails read the instructions lol
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Maybe is was the mystereous - go and have a brew and wait 15 mins that are referenced in the router config guides! is there some setup time lag involved here?
That's all related to the automated setup of the Plusnet supplied router using TR069. It doesn't apply to third party routers, which need to be configured manually.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.