cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble connecting to wifi and staying connected

FIXED
sarny211

Trouble connecting to wifi and staying connected

Hi hoping someone can help had broadband for a while and it's been great till about the last month, have trouble connecting to the wi fi, Internet drops out, try to reconnect its telling me I've put the wrong password in even though I haven't even entered a password. It doesn't reach more than 2 rooms so bought an extension for eldest sons room that loses WiFi. It just seems to be really slow connecting as well when it does connect. Any ideas what we're doing wrong? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Trouble connecting to wifi and staying connected

1/
If your router has 2 band capability, ensure the 2.4 & 5ghz frequencies are given different names in your router settings.
2/
D/load a free wifi analyser app to check which channels most in use in your locale; then manually set your router wifi to the least used channels /or unused ones.
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Fix

Hi @sarney211, thanks for getting in touch and welcome to our Community Forum.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having connection issues as of recent and checking from this side I can see we haven't seen a drop in connection between our side and the router in the last 7 days. This then points towards the router and the connection type wireless to be behind the issues you've been seeing and I'd advise first of all to run through my guide below on how best to optimise the wireless settings to best suit your property and surrounding area.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyzer (blue and white icon on android)which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices  to for a stronger signal.  
(When deciding which device goes on what frequency keep in mind that the 5GHz is designed for close range stationary devices and standard 2.4GHz the one which gets the wireless around your property further.)

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

Let us know how it goes as there are other steps we can advise should this not help with the disconnections you're seeing. If your son having the most issues in the far room is a fellow gamer like myself then I'd perhaps consider looking into power line adaptors as these devices allow you to use the electrical wiring of the property to transfer a much faster and stable wired connection to opposite sides of the house from the router. Unlike wireless which when optimised can see performance issues (especially with gaming which unlike steaming or browsing can't really buffer or load ahead) the power line adaptors should make a great difference to the ping.
I hope this helps and I look forwards to hearing from you further.

sarny211

Hello Ben thanks for replying, got my son to do as you suggested and we got to the 3rd step and it told us to turn it off but there was no off only a yes or no so he clicked no and now we have no WiFi at all. Where did we go wrong?
sarny211

Ignore that message think I've fixed it. Thank you for your help.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Glad to see its fixed! Let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet