Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Training period - what to expect?

FIXED
turbotippy
Dabbler

Training period - what to expect?

Hi all,

New customer here, returning from Sky after several years. Unlimited Fibre Extra activated today and thought I would see what the speeds are like, given this morning I had Sky Fibre Max.

I'm not sure I am seeing what my line is capable of (was getting > 60Mbps on Fibre Max regularly) given I am approx 400meters from the cabinet, would have thought the sync would be higher.

Hub shows 54.92Mpbs Downstream sync.

Think Broadband showing I get 51.5Mbps throughput.

At this distance to the cabinet I should be seeing around 65+Mbps?

The connection is direct to a new BT NTE5C installed by Openreach a few weeks ago, new cables and the Plusnet Hub One, via GBit Ethernet (cabled).

So my question, what exactly happens during training and how can I see line stats using the Hub One? Would I expect the sync to increase over time or is there something else going on?

First Speed Test - 03.04.2018.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Training period - what to expect?

Hi and welcome , Firstly there is no Training period for FTTC despite what they say , the DLM should find its optimal within the first 48 hours .

What does it say when you put your phone mumber in here ? https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
turbotippy
Dabbler

Thank you for that, I checked on there but my phone number hasn't been updated on the database yet so had to use address and postcode which shows I should see a minimum on a clean line of 66.6 and on an impacted line of 59. Screenshot attached.

BT Line Rates - 03.04.2018.png

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @turbotippy

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

I have sent you a ticket on your account, please click here to view it. 

Thanks! 

turbotippy
Dabbler

Thank you for looking into this @MasterOfReality and also for raising a ticket. Will report back after investigation, thanks again.

TT

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems. It looks like an engineer has picked up the job today.

Let us know how your speed looks tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
turbotippy
Dabbler

Hi just thought I would report back here as well as to the ticket and not good news I'm afraid.

Although Openreach are saying they have repaired the fault - how did they do that without causing a disconnection of the DSL? No disconnections have taken place on the line that I have not initiated, so the communications channel must be exactly the same.

I'm still getting a throughput of around 51Mbps and it looks like a sync of 57Mbps the http://dslchecker.bt.com/ now works with my phone number and shows I should be getting a minimum of 66.6Mbps.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi there.

Sorry to hear you're still experiencing speed problems.

It looks like the engineer that went out on the 4th to investigate the potential issue we found with your phone line reported back, advising that no fault could be found with the line.

I think the next step is to raise a broadband fault and arrange an engineer visit to further investigate.

I'll update your ticket shortly once I've raised the fault with our suppliers BT Wholesale.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
turbotippy
Dabbler

Thanks for looking into this @Gandalf will check out the ticket.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix
No problems at all.

Our tests are now showing your line to be on a 5db profile.
Whilst it is likely that the increase from 3db has caused your speeds to sink below your speed estimates, there's likely an underlying issue somewhere as I'd expect your router to sync at a speed somewhere within your estimates on a 6db profile.
Having a 3db profile would essentially be a bonus in speed.

Let us know how you get on.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
turbotippy
Dabbler

Yes, absolutely. Given I can see the cabinet from where I'm sitting, I would expect syncs > 70Mbps. Actually I've had those speeds before but haven't been on that product for a few years, didn't need the speed to dropped to a 40Mbps package, if I was on that package now I wouldn't know about this issue Sad

turbotippy
Dabbler

Just an update as Openreach have just been out and resolved the issue.

I thought on the quiet line test I could hear a faint mains hum, he could hear it too, but it wasn't enough obviously to cause major issues - but at the box where my drop wire goes in it was more prominent.

50Hz is too low in the spectrum to impact VDSL but its quite probable it was being modulated and spread over the spectrum enough to reduce the SNR at the higher frequencies to cause the data rate to drop. He did say that Openreach had been doing work in the box outside my house to provide pairs to the new houses going up in the field next door to me, so obviously something happened during that work.

They changed the pair to the cabinet - no hum now and syncing at 78Mbit throughput around 74Mbit/s with 6dB Noise Margin - pretty much exactly what it should be given the line distance and attenuation.

PlusNet - thanks for your help and going through the process to resolve the problem.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to hear the engineer resolved this for you @turbotippy

Please let us know if you need any further assistance in the future.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet