Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Priority Issue. Staff help?

MarcusA
Dabbler

Traffic Priority Issue. Staff help?

Hi

I recently saw a thread posted by a member, and he was having issues with Traffic priority, and downloads affecting voice/streaming.

I'm having the same issues. Downloading a file will impact anybody streaming video on the network, also it severely impacts gaming and voice chat over Xbox Live or Skype.

Can anyone help or look into this? I spent over 50 minutes on hold, trying to speak to Plusnet support, but had to hang up in the end.

Cheers
Marcus
7 REPLIES 7
legume
Rising Star

Re: Traffic Priority Issue. Staff help?

Well asking for staff help seems to have scared them off - two days unanswered!

Maybe @Kelly missed this one.

I don't think PN QOS will prio video, but gaming/voice should be OK as long as you are not running out of upload bandwidth.

What type of connection and up/down speed do you have?

MarcusA
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply!

I'm quite far away from the exchange, but I still get around 37 down and 8 up. Pings are always pretty solid.

It's just recently I noticed downloads impacting my voice chat. It's never happened before.
legume
Rising Star

QOS went AWOL on my line for a while, but it's back now. IIRC the recent thread wasn't that it was gone for the poster, but that the speed was too high.

To know whether it's gone for you tou would really need to capture some traffic. ping replies should be tos marked, so you could test with that.

http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/

To see what speed Plusnet set on your line look here -

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Which should be a bit higher than what you can get with a speed test, but if it looks way too high then may need changing.

Rather than messing with wireshark, you could try a few times pinging somewhere when downloading or doing a speed test (but ignore ping during upload test). See how bad it gets - with QOS on it will rise a bit, for me it's about 25ms max.

When it was off it would spike to 80ms then settle at 40ms, I am synced at 67/20, so it may be different for you.

MarcusA
Dabbler

Cheers. I'll have a play around with it this weekend.

Although, now you mention it...the last time I downloaded something, and was experiencing the chat issue, I ran a quick speedtest. It took way longer than usual to start up, and when it did, my initial ping was about 600+ms

Another thing I've noticed this evening after doing a few speedtests, is that my upload has shot up from the usual 8mb, to nearly 12mb?

Seems consistent too. Ran about 6 or 7 tests.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hey, still happening?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@MarcusA Ok, there is something a bit odd happening here as everything looks ok on our side.  You're synced at about 40Mbps and the line profile of 38600 is correct so you shouldn't be seeing that.

We're tweaking something  else on our side now.  Let us know if you see any change from that.  (give us an hour to make the change)

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
MarcusA
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.

I'll start to test things out this evening.

Is there any reason why my upload has shot up, out of the blue? I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong. Just seems odd as it always seemed to have been capped at around 8mb