cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torrent speeds in Kbs after house move and I'm on unlimited fibre

Dunnyd
Hooked

Torrent speeds in Kbs after house move and I'm on unlimited fibre

So I moved house and have been with Plusnet well over 10 years with no issues, now 3 days after moving my torrents have been throttled I literally saw it happen one second I'm downloading at 8Mbp/s the next its 4Kbp/s, I'm on unlimited ultrafast fibre, what's going on???

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Torrent speeds in Kbs after house move and I'm on unlimited fibre

Welcome to the forums, @Dunnyd . I doubt you are being throttled - PN do not employ traffic shaping.  What are your connection speeds like? Does this happen on one site, or a number of them?

John
Dunnyd
Hooked

My speeds are spot on using speed test and I downloaded drivers from AMD just fine, just torrents, one second they were downloading as usual the next they are crawling, at this rate it'll take me a week to download a 6Gb file

jab1
Legend

It could be the torrent site you are using. Have you used it before with no problem? If your own speeds for normal browsing are OK - as demonstrated by your speed tests, then I would suspect the originating site.

John
Dunnyd
Hooked

Nah It's not the torrent site I've tried a couple now and both the same, I can stream live TV no problem, just torrents, they worked fine for 3 days been slow since Friday, will ring Plusnet tomorrow

Dunnyd
Hooked

Thanks though 👍

jab1
Legend

OK. Maybe some more technically savvy Community members will respond as well - I must admit I haven't used torrent sites for a long time, so I don't know how they behave these days, and unfortunately can't test for you as I am no longer with PN.

John
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

How fast you download something through a torrent is dependent on how fast the person’s internet connection is on the other side to upload the data. 

If other things you do on the internet runs OK then I’d doubt there’s an issue with your broadband connection, plus as already suggested we don’t traffic shape. 

Are you able to try torrenting the file over data from a mobile phone to see if you get the same issue? Bear in mind though if you have usage allowance for mobile data you may need to keep an eye on it to stay under. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Dunnyd
Hooked

Anoush, I've been downloading torrents for over 15 years, believe me these should be flying. The only other thing I can think of is when the Openreach engineer was here on Tuesday, he mentioned he was installing me with BT and I said no it's Plusnet, he showed me his worksheet and it deffo said BT, I have never spoken with bt only plusnet?Huh

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @Dunnyd

Thanks for getting back in touch. The source of the issue here isn't with Plusnet, or Openreach, and the line is currently syncing at 79.9 Mbps. torrents are downloaded via P2P file sharing, so the rate in which files are downloaded, is also dependant on the number of seeders, as well as their connection speeds. There's really little further support we can offer here if your other applications are working normally.

KBD

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 79.9 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 167.1
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-12-08T04:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps 79.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps 19.9 Mbps
Up Time 2.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 896.1 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Dunnyd
Hooked

I know what you're saying but there are plenty of seeds, these torrents should be done in 10 mins, not 15 days like the ETA on the picture, like I said they were going as normal on friday and it was like someone fliped a swithc and they just stopped, I was watching the screen when it happened, something is not right and it's not my end?Huh

Dunnyd
Hooked

ok, It seems the problem is with Qbittorrent, switched to another torrent  app and all is good, thanks for all your help, should have tried that before doh!!

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Ah fair enough @Dunnyd

If you have any further questions regarding your services, please feel free to reach out. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds