cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput jitters and slows to circa 20Mbps every 2 weeks - router reboot fixes it?

FIXED
snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Throughput jitters and slows to circa 20Mbps every 2 weeks - router reboot fixes it?

Fix

I bought a BT HOME 5B which is a PLUSNET HUB ONE but instead of having the dodgy 'Lantiq' chipset (like the BT HOME HUB 5A + PLUSNET HUB ONE) the 5B has the 'Broadcom 6368' chipset which BT replaced the 5A with because of known issues on that Lantiq chipset in that Hub that was causing issues for customers

.... I think BT have handed off surplus chipset boards to BT Owned PlusNet to house in a 'white' version of the old BT Home Hub 5

now check this out with almost 4 days up on the 5B (Broadcom 6316Cool

1) The Max Rate has gone from 65Mb to 73Mb...!!
2) Latency has dropped 2ms
3) It reports my line as 50m shorter than the PN Hub at 410m (BThub) vs 463m (PNhub)
4) speed hasnt dipped from 37Mbps once and gives consistent results whereas before they were slightly inconsistent
5) 2.4Ghz wifi is -10db stronger

so problem fixed replacing routers chipset... IMHO plusnet hand out iffy routers to customers to use up surplus stock

I will be writing to head office about the fact no member of staff offered to help on the forum and I want reimbursing for the router I had to buy to fix THEIR problem

.....dont forget they sent me another hub just to be sure but still happened, so 2 plusnet hub one's cause my speed to dip from 37Mbps to around 18-22Mbps every few-several days - replace it with the same router but with a broadcom chipset after learning Plusnets Hub1 has the dodgy Lantiq chipset in...problem solved <- think that speaks volumes...

there are MANY people with issue or very similar across this and many other forums

another thing I noticed... from the forum stats.. less than 1% of problems are fixed on here