cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput jitters and slows to circa 20Mbps every 2 weeks - router reboot fixes it?

FIXED
snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Throughput jitters and slows to circa 20Mbps every 2 weeks - router reboot fixes it?

Hi

ive been live with plusnet for 2 months, in those 2 months everything has been acceptable except one thing, it seems around every few weeks the speed suddenly starts to get jittery (i notice web pages just taking that little bit longer to load) this alerts me to  do a speedtest, when i do its very intermittent, instead of going straight to 37.5Mbps (which I get 24/7 over 5Ghz 3x3 wifi with 300Mbps sync, no channel sharing) it will spike up and down whilst slowly rising then hovering around 18-25Mbps.. when its been like this last time I plugged the PC in via LAN just to be sure it wasnt the wifi end of the router and I was getting the same results.. a reboot of the router fixes this issue straight away, note that the sync remains at 39,997Kbps when this 'dipping' happens...so its something to do with the throughput between the router and DSLAM that needs a reboot to resolve it?

does anyone know what could be causing this?

I use the Hub One which is a poor router, the wifi signal strength aint great (even though I get full speed over it) and its a Lantiq chipset, also known to have issues (thats why BT created the Home Hub 5B - this Hub One is BT's home hub 5A) - ALSO - im on a crappy ECI DSLAM...also known to have its own shortfalls

thanks

30 REPLIES 30
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Throughput jitters and slows to circa 20Mbps every 2 weeks - router reboot fixes it?

snadge wrote: (snipped)  it seems around every few weeks the speed suddenly starts to get jittery (i notice web pages just taking that little bit longer to load) this alerts me to do a speedtest, when i do its very intermittent,
when its been like this last time I plugged the PC in via LAN just to be sure it wasnt the wifi end of the router and I was getting the same results.. a reboot of the router fixes this issue straight away
I use the Hub One which is a poor router, the wifi signal strength aint great (even though I get full speed over it) and its a Lantiq chipset, also known to have issues (thats why BT created the Home Hub 5B - this Hub One is BT's home hub 5A) - ALSO - im on a crappy ECI DSLAM...also known to have its own shortfalls

Same thing happening here too @snadge

These forums have been very poor in loading pages in the last several days (anything up to 25secs to load with no time out message). Other sites affected too.

Turned the wifi settings back to their default, to see if this was causing this = nope, currently connected this laptop via ethernet = still slow, carried out a manual reboot (after 13 days up) a few hours ago = better, but still slow for meUndecided

Youtube videos play, stop, buffer, play out of focus, stop, buffer and sometimes then play out fine for anything up to 1 hour. It's the same no matter how I'm connected to the PNH1

Unless we've both got vdsl issues, my way of thinking is starting to blame the hub (possibly this current firmware...?)

DS
Seasoned Champion

Re: Throughput jitters and slows to circa 20Mbps every 2 weeks - router reboot fixes it?

It was getting stupid waiting for pages to load on these forums (over Ethernet), to the point where @Chris was able to reply to a thread, post it up and mine was still trying to load the content, up popped that Chris had replied with a '(1)' showing on the browser tab and his post made it before mine by 2 mins or so!!Ticked_off

So, this time the hub was switched off using the button on the rear and it did this:

Hub light green

green light flash

amber light for a long while

amber flash

solid blue

amber

amber flash

red

red with red BB light for about a minute

amber

amber flash

blue

How's yours atm snadge?

snadge
Aspiring Pro

Mine doesnt sound as bad as yours

when mine boots up it does the same as yours but without the red lights...never had red lights...flashes Amber...Green solid...Amber....Blue Solid, I can only assume that Green means routing is up and Blue means sync with DSLAM

Im a bit shocked no staff have replied, ive been warned about PN Customer Service... looks like I've been advised correctly

I hope someone can take a look and run a diagnostic

DS
Seasoned Champion

Mine might be worse, but this red light issue only started yesterday. Having said that, there's too many varied reports on these forums which some appear to start around December onwards. You've only got to look around these forums and there's a lot of evidence posted up by customers.

Some staff seem to jump on some threads (hooray) but not on others (boo)

My amber VLAN was found in January, this was purely due to dealing with PN over the phone regarding the issues with Youview. IIRC mine then went to blue from amber (which is in between  green and amber) or It might have gone straight on to green.

I'm beginning to think there's more to this new network, and as more customers get moved over to it, the more reports are possibly going to make it on to the forums.

I've already read that the PNH1 has issues with it's current firmware when uploading, though to be fair they're pushing changes to individual routers on a case by case basis at this moment in time.

Regarding the red lights, I did carry out another powercycle in the early hours and the red light happened again.

I'm really starting to regret moving away from Sky (LLU) if I'm being honest, as prior to that when on BT I had various issues - tie pair mod - 'roasting' hot VP and so on. BT forum staff would sometimes say there's nothing wrong, but after I sent their CEO an email as if by magic a fault was found and fixed. Is was then fine but that was all on adsl. After they advised that I should move to their vdsl offerings, it went downhill again very quickly. I was able to terminate the contract early due to the then price increase.

I have been using PN's suggested speed tester since yesterday evening and these results are so erratic.

I wonder if PN are going to put their prices up any time soon......

snadge
Aspiring Pro

hmm  i will check over the forums later - whats this new network? not heard about it?  I heard people on ECI cabs were having issues since Xmas, Iam on an ECI cab and using the Hub-One which is [-Censored-].

Your best getting a Broadcom based router (I cant afford one), everyone on KITZ Broadband Forum seem to be advising (and most are using) the ZYXEL VMG8924-10A  which might not look nice but perform excellent..apparantley.. they are wall mountable, VDSL capable, 5Ghz AC/N, have G.INP for improved error correction and better speeds in some cases (Huawei DSLAMS only, ECI DSLAMS have this disabled as they are [-Censored-] and failed to work properly when it was enabled), it also comes VECTORING ready for when BT decide to roll out Vectoring to increase speeds in cases where crosstalk is the cause of poor speeds.

I think all ISPs have their issues, when i went with Sky they screwed up my connection moving me onto their new SVBN network, took 3 months, letters to CEO, 7 BT visits to sort out and you know what? it was BT openreachs fault from the beginning who moved me onto a "split pair" when shifting me over!! - so unless the ISPs has Backhaul issues beyond the Telephone exchange your always going to have to deal with BTopenreach on the last mile, it is THEM who control ALL the FTTC connections,  ISPs dont have any 'remote' access to the DSLAMS in the Cabinet...unlike ADSL which didnt have to pass-through a DSLAM in a cabinet, it was all the way to the exchange where you were connected directly to Sky's (or other ISP) LLU MSAN and then onto their Backhaul, but with FTTC it puts a BT owned DSLAM in between your ROUTER and the ISPs LLU MSAN/DSLAM at the exchange..so theres no getting away from them.

I am aware that PlusNet use BTwholesale (and aren't LLU) but they are given a lot of control over it...I was hesitant but nearly all my techy friends on forums are with PlusNet and praised them.. I have to say apart from having to reboot the router once a fortnight its been fine, even on an ECI cab with the Hub5A Lantiq chipset ...wonder why PlusNet used the Hub5A instead of the 5B... cos it would of been cheaper I reckon! as far as im aware there were issues surrounding the 5A (Lantiq chipset) and BT quickly released the 5B (Broadcom chipset)

I hope I dont run into as bad of issues as you or anyone else is having..touch wood (touches his head)

As for uploading, mine works fine .. but... its crappy 2MB upload...no better than ADSL on that score, I thought it was 10MB when I signed up, bit disappointing as I have the need to seed Wink

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think the Lantiq chipset devices actually achieved higher speeds than Broadcom ones on ECI cabinets while G.INP was enabled. So they're not necessarily bad in every way. Sometimes what works best on one line will not necessarily be the same as what works best on another line.

DS
Seasoned Champion

whats this new network?

Seek, and ye shall find.

I cant afford one

Ditto Sad

I think all ISPs have their issues

Yep, most do Sad

it was BT openreachs fault from the beginning

I know the feeling, though some of the lads were really good (and apologetic)

wonder why PlusNet used the Hub5A instead of the 5B

BT's shelves filled with trash, that needed to be used up, perhaps.....

touch wood (touches his head)

if you're not religious, now's a good time to start praying!!Roll_eyes

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@snadge

New network thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Plusnet-New-Network/m-p/1300536#M68862  (one of many) but basically this time last year, Plusnet began to move people from BTW Shared Infrastructure to a dedicated BTW network.

How many are on the new one is a commercial secret.

But it does cause issues all over the place. Many long threads have the new network at the centre of the issue.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Quote from HarryB 06/01/16 !! We are confident that the new network will deliver a better experience in terms of both reliability and performance thanks to the improved architecture.

something went astray Shocked

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
snadge
Aspiring Pro

Sounds like I should start praying lol... TBH it was all I could afford, everywhere else wanted £50 activation AND £50 new line (even though i had a line in it had been take off the system) - PN only wanted the £50 but i got that back off them when i rang up to ask where my router was...which was pretty decent of them TBH

@ejs - thats true about Broadcom wont necessary be the best for everyone...but for majority of people they do work better, most find them to be very stable, a friend is on ECI and gets better performance using Broadcom than Lantiq...  but the best thing is you have the advantage of Telnet access so you can use software that will pull QLN, SNR, Bit-Loading and Line Error Rate to use for diagnostics...if it hadnt been for me actually monitoring my healthy line with Sky and taking shots of graphs BEFORE they attempted the switch to new network then they wouldnt have fixed my line... cos i had proof of the perfect QLN/SNR before (19Mb) and complete noise ingress after (9Mb), I was able to show the BT engineers when they came to aid in diagnostics, it was only when they sent a Broadband Engineer out (rather than regular Linesmen) that it got sorted ..thats the main reason I like having them, you can actually SEE whats going on with your connection... all other routers do is just report basic stats like Sync, Margins and Uptime

When Sky changed users over from BTwholesale to LLU you could tell from TRACERT... obviously the IP/DNS was different - guess it would take quite a few of us to share our TRACRT results (hide your IP of course) compare it with anyones who knows they are on the new network, the last hop(s) should be different...thats how the users on sky forums were able to tell if you were on LLU or BTW

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That's more of a firmware access and software compatibility issue - plenty of that data would be available from Lantiq devices if you could access it, but with most devices, you can't. Likewise, you won't get many stats out of the Home Hub 5B.

snadge
Aspiring Pro

thats why its best getting a BCM chipset router that isnt locked down like the one I mentioned, Netgears.. list goes on..

EDIT: This is the 4th HOP of my Tracert, I think this is the server Im connecting to: be3-3102.pcn-ir02.plus.net

you can use this RMS 'DSLstats' (i think its better than any other as it does so much more than other ones)

Compatibility: (works on more Routers, especially most of Netgears BCM VDSL routers...just not supported if theres an issue) - soon as I can afford it I will be getting a ZYXEL, the one I mentioned before, its the 'go-to' router for VDSL by Kitz users...also as you can use this program on it. there are other graphing scripts also

Actiontec C1000A Yes (Note 1)  
  C2000A Yes (Note 1)  
  C2000T Yes (Note Cool  
Asus WL-600G    
Belkin F1Pl243EGau    
Billion 7700(N)    
  7800(N) Yes  
  7800DXL Yes  
  8800NL Yes  
  8900AX Yes  
D-Link DSL-2300U    
  DSL-2540B    
  DSL-2542B    
  DSL-2640B Yes  
  DSL-2740B Yes  
  DSL-3780 Yes See Note 3
Dynalink RTA230    
  RTA1025W    
  RTA1025Wrev2    
  RTA1046VW    
  RTA1320    
  RTA1335    
Huawei HG610 Yes Second stage login required
  HG612 Yes Second stage login required
  HG622 Yes Second stage login required
  HG635 (?) **Note 5** Second stage login required
  HG658b Yes Second stage login required
  HG658c Yes (Note 6)  
Netgear (Note 7) DG834(g)V4   Must be put in debug mode
  DG834Nv1 Yes Must be put in debug mode
  DG834GT Yes Must be put in debug mode
  DG834PN   Must be put in debug mode
  DGN2000   Must be put in debug mode
  DGN2200   Must be put in debug mode
  DGND3300v1   Must be put in debug mode
  DGND3300v2   Must be put in debug mode
  DGND3700v1   Must be put in debug mode
  DGND3700v2   Must be put in debug mode
  DM111Pv1 Yes Requires special login setup
SagemCom F@ST 2504    
  F@ST 2804 rev 1 Yes Second stage login required
Thomson/Technicolor TG582N Yes Uses custom CLI
  TG585v7   Uses custom CLI
  TG589vn v3 Yes (Note 2) Uses custom CLI
  TG784   Uses custom CLI
TP-Link TD-W8960N   V5 is not compatible (Note 4)
ZTE ZXDSL931vII Yes Requires special login setup
Zoom X7n    
Zyxel C1000Z Yes (Note 1)  
  P-870HN-51b    
  SBG3300-N Yes  
  VMG1312-B10A Yes  
  VMG1312-B10D Yes  
  VMG8324-B10A Yes

snadge
Aspiring Pro

This is starting to annoy me now, ive not had it happen for 3 weeks until 4 days ago (I posted the speed results on another page) and now 4 days later its happened again

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1487966489129684155

25Mbps.... reboot router and back up to 37Mbps

can some ADMIN please find out why this is happening> its not just me.. im certain its the [-Censored-] chipset firmware VS ECI cab

DS
Seasoned Champion

25Mbps.... reboot router and back up to 37Mbps

I'm nowhere near 37Mbps, wish I was

However, I've mentioned the reboot to restore speed on this post

(plus on other posts on that thread or other threads - nobody from PN has commented as yet)