cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling

AJL1975

Throttling

Can someone from plusnet please just admit that you are throttling speeds due to the current situation it's going to save so much frustration for so many people and once you just let us know we'll accept it and be more patient,

I'm sick of performing all the tests and jumping through the hoops when it's just so obvious.

Put a communication out so people don't think they're crazy and don't cause further issues by tinkering with settings we wouldn't ordinarily touch for no reason.
9 REPLIES 9
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Throttling

As another customer, I can honestly say there is no throttling on my connection.

Download speeds are in the high 60's mbits/s.

I assume there must be a local(ish) problem to your location.

Maybe a "hot VLAN" in the BT Wholesale jargon.

Where the BT backhaul link from the telephone exchange is highly utilised.

There has even been been one recent report where the link from the fibre cabinet to the exchange was over utilised.

Such issues are ourside of PNs direct  control and it takes time and proof to push BT openeach or BT Wholesale to identify and address the problem.

Regards

Richard

AJL1975

Your response makes a lot of sense but wouldn't cause the issues myself and thousands of other posters across dozens of different platforms are having.

My speed has been exactly halved and runs at a constant 16mbps down & 6mbps up which isn't facilitating my Wife & myself working from home in a key worker industry,

I'm happy for you that you are not experiencing the throttling issue but you are the minority.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

@AJL1975 wrote:
Your response makes a lot of sense but wouldn't cause the issues myself and thousands of other posters across dozens of different platforms are having.

Isn't that likely to indicate that it's not a PN issue?

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
AJL1975

I'm sorry I don't understand? I mean without being pedantic how likely is it that my speeds would run within a 1mbps variance constantly without third party interference behind the scenes?

It doesn't bounce it doesn't drop I've ran the tests across 9 different devices with all the other devices disconnected using the hub manager it runs perfectly but not quick enough to facilitate our occupations & needs,

I suppose ultimately I haven't really got a leg to stand on as I'm using private household broadband for business purposes but a quick search through these forums and onto plusnets twitter page etc suggests PN are doing exactly what I'm saying.

When 2 people disagree & they're both convinced they are right it's difficult to change their mind.

Thanks for the reply.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I was just suggesting if it's imapacting thousands of users on many platforms then it's not purely related to PN?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

My speeds have steadily dropped since joining plusnet about 18 months ago - when I joined I had 75mbps down and 17 up, now I have <20mbps down and a measly <0.4 up.  I have done the tests and filed a fault but no real response yet.  I did a speed test roughly every month over 18 months and noticed a steady, almost linear drop,  so it is not just since the virus lockdown that this has been happening.  Now Plusnet want me to renew 18 month contract with them,  hmmmmmm,  have to think about that because if things continue the way they are I won'r even be able to send a simple email soon - I sent 3 x 6Mb photographs the other day and I thought the connection was gonna time out it took so long.....

May be BT lowering service to Plusnet customers because they want everyone to switch to BT and get rid of Plusnet brand ?

THP155
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@AJL1975  I'm not having any problems with my 80/20 service.  Speed is where it normally sits at around 42Mbps.   I wonder if your line is banded for some reason.

AJL1975

Just renovated our home and as part of it had all brand new cabling & boxes installed,

the connection speeds and performance have been perfect until 3 weeks ago when everyone got either furloughed or sent to work from home,

I can understand needing to do what they have to stop overload and connections dropping out but they should just tell us to save us spending hours trying to fix something that can't be fixed.
Azriphale

I've been a customer for just over a year. I have had a stable 42-44Mb/s connection, reported by the router not via any download testers.

Until last month.

There is no support available, just check the website for helpful advice. The helpful advice is a bit of a waste seeing I am Cisco qualified with over 20 years professional IT experience, so its not like I don't know what I am doing. Nothing has changed expect the connection speed.

I just renewed my contract and now I am getting 32Mb/s I would get had a I gone for the cheaper package. I want my money back or the speed fixed.