Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling?

oxigin82
Dabbler

Throttling?

Hi All, 

Has anyone else noticed a massive drop in download speeds during "peak" hours?

I'd normally have a speed of 70+ meg - Now i'm getting the attached Sad I noticed something was up last week and decided to check the speed when I got home form work

Ran a speed check at around 6ish and all seem good at 74mg checked again now and super slow can only assume some form of throttling is happening on my line? 

Thanks

28 REPLIES 28
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Throttling?

Wireless interference?

oxigin82
Dabbler

It can't be - It was fine at 6 pm and one of the wireless devices has left the house 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Why not?

My next door neighbour's WiFi knocks mine out at times.

oxigin82
Dabbler

The timings and speed drops seem a little to consistent for it to be that and would wifi interference really drop 50+ meg off of a download speed?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Could you run a test wired.

Also could you run the Thinkbroadband speed test which does indicate if contention is an issue.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
oxigin82
Dabbler

Ran the test again after midnight and the results are very different.. (attached) 

DL: 73.55mg

UL: 17.17mg

Ping: 23.25

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Please run the thinkbroadband test when it is going slow. If the single threaded download is still slow but the multi-threaded is far better that points to congestion either at the exchange or upstream from there to Plusnet.

If someone from Plusnet sees this can they check the status of the exchange please.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There are a number of RED vlans at your exchange, which many be causing some issues. I can also see that when we test the phone line it's reporting a potential issue with the copper line itself.

If the speeds continue to dip in the evening, I'd advise getting this reported to us as a fault at https://faults.plus.net

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
oxigin82
Dabbler

Thanks Chris - I've just had a live chat with BT and surprise they are proclaiming the line looks fine Angry .. Which is clearly different to what you're seeing. 

Is there anyway of me running these tests to supply this to BT? Or are you able to supply the results?

Thanks

Chris
Legend

It doesn't give us specifics as we can't directly test the phone line.

What I would suggest is if they are saying they can't find a fault, get one reported to us and we can see if the VLAN you're on is on that's heavily utilised.  Use the link in my previous post and give us a shout when you've reported it.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
oxigin82
Dabbler

Thanks Chris - I've just reported the issue 

jelv
Seasoned Hero

@oxigin82 wrote:

Thanks Chris - I've just had a live chat with BT and surprise they are proclaiming the line looks fine Angry .. Which is clearly different to what you're seeing.

Not at all different - your line could be absolutely perfect and capable of FTTP speeds (330Mbps), but if there isn't enough capacity on the links from the exchange to the next point upstream on the BT network (the VLAN) you will see slowdowns when a lot of others on the same VLAN are using the internet.

Chris
Legend

That's great, thanks.

As I though, the SVLAN you're on is showing as RED (high utlilisation) and was actually due to be fixed at the start of this week. Our faults team will follow that up and see if there is a new fix date.

oxigin82
Dabbler

@jelv wrote:

@oxigin82 wrote:

Not at all different - your line could be absolutely perfect and capable of FTTP speeds (330Mbps), but if there isn't enough capacity on the links from the exchange to the next point upstream on the BT network (the VLAN) you will see slowdowns when a lot of others on the same VLAN are using the internet.

But shouldn't BT be able to identify the same problems Chris has seen? If they ran the same checks?