cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling

reid1234
Dabbler

Throttling

My internet connection from the day I have got it has had terrible speeds on anything other than internet/http traffic. Steam, any 3rd party app ect I'm lucky to get 1MB/s worth (8Mb/s). Testing P2P applications is even worse. It's a problem I have had since day one, and NEVER has a third party gone above 2MB/s. On about 10 different devices, yet http is straight away achieving speed test results of 70Mb/s without fail. It's frankly throttling when no traffic is occurring except a 3rd party app and its using max 20% of the available bandwidth. I'm longing for the day this crappy contract is completed as I have had terrible problems and service the entire time. Honestly I'm so appalled that if it isn't corrected somehow I'm going to the advertising standards agency over false advertising. Turn off your shitty shitty traffic management policy that has failed on my line completely to do it's described job.
17 REPLIES 17
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Throttling

There isn't any throttling that we do on our end.
Traffic is prioritised however if you aren't doing any other activities then most downloads should come down at line speed.
You've mentioned you only get 8mb/s on your steam downloads? That works out at 64mbps which is roughly near the maximum speed you can get on your line.
With regards to P2P and 3rd party sites alot of that is reliant on other servers and connections so if that's running slow there isn't much we can do.
I don't think there's a issue with your line but just a confusion between Mbps and Mb/s.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
reid1234
Dabbler

It is not I with the misunderstanding, I used a capital to denote byte and smaller case to denote bit. I should never have included the bracket quantity. If I saw anywhere near 6MB/s on any non http traffic I would literally jump up and down. I have heard good things about your traffic management policy so I have given plus net the benefit of the doubt so far. However there is clearly something going horrifically wrong on my connection when it comes to traffic management. I have tested this for the year gone by and exhausted all attempts to investigate the issue. I have tried foregoing a router and plugging my laptop straight into the openreach router, connecting with a PPPoA connection. Still the same result. It's as if there is a ~1.5MB/s artificial limit on traffic. Which I consider to be throttling. I really feel ripped of by this occurring as it's not much faster than an ADSL2 line. Yet I am paying significantly more. As a technically competent person I can assure you this is occurring and I am not happy about it.
Dhaos
Grafter

It must be a isolated problem, i regulary get 8.9 MB/s (fastest my line can handle) when using newsgroups. P2P i have seen 8 MB/s but its very rarely i often see around 6MB/s
reid1234
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply Dhaos. It's definitely something peculiar with my connection in particular. It's fairly consistently capped, even when my line speed was the full 78Mb/s, I only occasionally saw flickers up to 2MB/s in non http traffic. Yet running even a 1000MB file through something like chromes download manager, immediately hits a consistent 80% -100% of my line speed. Compared to 10% of non http traffic. Chrome isn't even that great a download manager in my experience. Something's definitely up.
aaaron

reid1234:
I seem to suffer from the exact same issue. Signed up for 80/20, get 70+mbps on various Speedtests.
When I try to download a torrent I'm stuck with 1mBps. The speed limit is proved by the fact when I start another torrent, the second starts gathering speed at almost exactly the same rate as the first slows down by. I can switch to a friends Virgin WiFi who lives within range, and magically I get way more than 1mBps!
Plusnet are definitely limiting P2P traffic, 1mBps certainly is nowhere near the 75mbps service I'm paying for. It's disgraceful!
bigcal27

I too have a similar problem. P2p and usenet seems to be limited to 1.5MB/s but if I download a file from anywhere else, be it through firefox or something like Steam, I get the full 4MB/s that my line is capable of. I made a thread about it last week but haven't had a single reply...
benfranklin
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
I don't think there's a issue with your line but just a confusion between Mbps and Mb/s.

Psst... Mbps and MB/s  Lips_are_sealed
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I can't see any problems on the accounts mentioned here. I've checked each to ensure you're all profiled correctly, which you are. p2p has obvious problems, and is unlikely to achieve full line speeds all the time. However, if you could start to get some evidence for us, we'll be able to look further into the matter.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
bigcal27

What kind of evidence?
dick:quote
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I don't want to state the obvious, but can you please ensure nothing else is running (up/downloading) at the time? Also are these issues permanent or time sensitive?
For evidence, if using torrents, can you tell us what you are downloading and where from so that we can try to replicate it for you? I'm assuming these are Linux distributions, so the particulars would be helpful. Also, have you tried a different server?
Thanks.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Dhaos
Grafter

You need to add 5 or so heavily seeded torrents and make sure your torrent software is setup correctly to allow the right amount of connections for your upload speed, and see how high you can get it to go, thats why p2p is a bad test, there are to many factors, ie how fast the uploaders speeds are, how many are trying to download the torrent compared to how many are seeding it, if they have set their torrent client to minimize upload speed when they are seeding, etc etc.
aaaron

Quote from: plusnettony
For evidence, if using torrents, can you tell us what you are downloading and where from so that we can try to replicate it for you?

Hi Tony, I was attempting to download http://releases.ubuntu.com/15.04/ubuntu-15.04-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent and another flavour of Ubuntu (can't remember which was the other off the top of my head)
Dhaos: I understand what you're saying about adding 5+ torrents and making sure it's setup correctly. My client is configured as it should be and can pull well over 10mBps on various other connections.
I start another torrent when one is maxxed out at 1mBps the speed of the first will plummet at the second goes up. It's proportional. That suggests to me there is a limit on the connection impose by Plusnet. These are well seeded torrents, my firewall is configured as it should be. There really isn't another explanation, I can switch networks and go several times faster on the same PC, same torrent client, same firewall settings etc. etc. There cannot be another explanation, can there? Unless this gets sorted I will be cancelling my direct debit and going with another provider who allows you to use the connection you pay for.
I realise that getting 10mBps is probably not going to happen, but somewhere between 1mB and 10mB would be fine. 1mB is not.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I note that this site offers a direct link to the ISO file - I take it these are downloading OK?
On another notes, I'd not recommend cancelling direct debits, without fail it complicates matters. It's best to work with us to sort things out.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If you could all please also let me know when the problem started it would be helpful.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team