Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling of an evening

FIXED
hugonebula
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Throttling of an evening

I started with Plusnet about two months ago, but I've noticed over the last two weeks that my speed appears to drop by 80-90% during the evenings (between about 9:00pm to 11:00pm), from around 18-20 Mbps to 2.2-5.0 Mbps. I don't know if this is recent or if it was like that to begin with.

I've used Google Speed test, Ookla app, ThinkBroadband testers. I've tested via WiFi and a cable, on tablets, phones and PC. I've used a different router/modem, connected directly to the master socket. I've tried with all WiFi off, and no extra traffic on my connection during this time.

The results are all consistent.

Is anybody else's this bad?

10 REPLIES 10
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Throttling of an evening

This has the hallmarks of an exchange or 'Hot SVLAN' congestion problem.  One of the PN staffers  should be along and make a few checks.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @hugonebula,

I'm sorry that you've been experiencing intermittent problems with the performance of your connection.

I've tested your line and can confirm that @MauriceC's assessment was correct and that this issue is being caused by an S-VLAN congestion problem. Our suppliers are aware of the problem and have advised that the target resolution date for this is today so this should hopefully be resolved by midnight tonight at the latest.

Please let us know if you are still experiencing any problems with your connection tomorrow.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
hugonebula
Grafter

My connection was still low (3Mb) between 21:00 - 23:00 on Saturday, and is btwn 5-7Mb tonight (Sunday).

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @hugonebula

I'm sorry to hear you're still experiencing speed problems.

Our tests are detecting your circuit is on a hot VLAN. This basically means that the part of our suppliers network your connection is routed through at the exchange is congested and having capacity issues.

I've discussed this with our suppliers and they've informed me that we need to raise a fault to them to migrate this as it is passed the target date. Check this ticket for further updates. 

Please accept my apologies, and thank you for the patience and understanding you have shown whilst we have been working on this issue. 

Thanks, 

MoR

hugonebula
Grafter

This is still happening. It's been more than a week after it was said that this would be fixed in three days.

Actually, it was said that it would be, "roughly 72 working hours", which is an odd phrase. Did they mean 72 hours (i.e., three working days), or two weeks (assuming a 36 hour working week)?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear that.

I can see our suppliers advised us on the 25th that "We have identified the Customers Circuit is built on SFBB CVLAN experiencing high Utilisation. A Fix is due to be deployed on 21/09/2018. Our next review date is 28/09/2018 to confirm if the fix has been deployed and to use this period for monitoring."

On the 28th we received the following update: "We have identified the Customers Circuit is built on SFBB CVLAN experiencing high Utilisation. A Fix is due to be deployed on 05/09/2018. Our next review date is 05/10/2018 after 16:00 hours to confirm if the fix has been deployed and to use this period for monitoring."

The dates in the first update don't make much sense, but based on the second update the issue should be resolved tomorrow.

Let us know how your speeds look tomorrow night.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hugonebula
Grafter

Nope, not fixed. 4½ Mbps and falling.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @hugeonebula,

I'm sorry that this issue isn't resolved yet and for any inconvenience that this has caused.

I've had a look into this and, unfortunately, the VLAN that you're connected to is still congested and our suppliers weren't able to resolve this by the estimated date (05/10/18.) As this is the case, your fault has been escalated to our supplier's complex faults team and we have asked that they move you onto a cooler VLAN in the meantime, if possible. We should receive an update by 10/10 at the latest - I'll keep an eye on this and will be in touch via ticket on your account once we have this update.

I'm sorry for the length of time that this is taking to resolve.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
hugonebula
Grafter

Fix

Fingers crossed, but speeds appear to be holding steady at ~20Mbps in the evenings.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@hugonebula,

That's good to hear. Please monitor the connection and if issues resurface please let us know.