Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling at peak times?

timhugall
Hooked

Throttling at peak times?

Hi all,

I left BT due to this very issue and for the last 10 or so months, Plusnet has been perfect with a consistent 30-35 down at all times of day.

In the last 3 weeks however we've been getting down speeds no faster than 7 in the evenings (between 6-11pm seems to be the troublesome time) and on occasions it occasionally drops as low as 0.9.

Just spoke to a chap on the phone who while very nice gave advice which was useless. Even though I told him everything in the house is hard wired (other than our phones) he insisted I change the 2.4GHz channel to 6 from 1 and then requested I load a YouTube video and left it with that. As an IT Technician I didn't want to start arguing with him and be "that guy" so just thanked him and ended the call.

What makes this worse is that if it drops to around 7, the performance isn't consistent and the connection regularly hangs and the ping is through the roof, settling on about 200ms. I rely on a remote desktop a lot due to effectively being on call 7 days a week and at times I'm having trouble connecting to my remote machine at work.

I was under the impression that Plusnet didn't do evening throttling but it very much feels like it's started to. There has been no infrastructure change inside or outside the property since the problem started either.

Suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Throttling at peak times?

Hi @timhugall 

Your problem is showing similar symtoms to a number of other recent topics in this board. 

There is an investigation underway to identify if there is a common cause (and solution Smiley).  In some cases the problem is removed by swapping the connection to a 'cooler' SVLAN across the network but it will still need some investigation by Plusnet to check your particular case.

I'll add this post to the pile.

One for you @bobpullen

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

timhugall
Hooked

Thank you. Is there a way I can keep tabs on the progress of this? It’s becoming really inconvenient.

@MauriceC
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@timhugall  Much of the work is still in the investigative stages and difficult to report on whilst it in progress.  The SU's are involved in the process and will try and keep the updates flowing.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.