cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttle back when accessing streaming media

Notthathappy
Hooked

Throttle back when accessing streaming media

Hi, I have been experiencing really slow speeds when trying to use streaming media (Netflix, Amazon and Iplayer). My 40mb service drops to less than 1mb (often 0.3mb) whilst trying to stream, then if i terminate the stream, within seconds it bounces back. I have read that Plusnet does throttle back, is this legal? It's certainly not ethical and makes my service utterly useless. Plusnet have sent me a new router, so it's not that, cables and dongle changed too. Not that they can sense streaming media. A neighbour with Plusnet experiencing very similar probelms on his 80mb circuit and engineers have been out 4 times. Really not happy with this and to leave Plusnet will cost me £130! Charming.

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Throttle back when accessing streaming media

@Notthathappy Welcome to the forum.

The problem with reading rubbish on the net is that it can lead to the wrong diagnosis. Plusnet do not throttle speeds.

You can only use bandwidth once so if you do a speed test whilst download you will get a report showing slower speed.

So to reset, when you say you are getting 40 Mbps, how are you measuring this? How is your streaming device connecting to the hub, is it wireless, via a powerline device or over an Ethernet cable?

If you are connecting your streaming device via wireless or powerline but get 40Mbps over an Ethernet savled device then this link will be the source of your problem,

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Notthathappy
Hooked

Thanks.

I do a speed test, both wired and wireless using two tools. Both tools give almost identical reading, and they are running one after the other. I then accessed Iplayer (and Netflix) via a TV and Chrome book, again separately. I also run the same tests by the router (AP) and in my bedroom where I want to watch the content.

Before streaming getting 14-25mb and during streaming 0.3 or less, turn off streaming back to 14-25mb.

Wired directly or via a powerline shows the same degradation. I don't believe everything I read on the net, but when I discovered my neighbour was experiencing the same issues I read around the subject and ended up here on the forum to get a more Plusnet view of it. Not only that, it took around 3 hrs to finally get to speak to a help desk person, so was forced to try and remedy the problem alone for 6 weeks or so. 

I will run the tests again tonight (when the situation is at its worst) but frankly getting really cheesed off doing all this when nothing had been changed in my house since installing it, and all I want to do is relax in the evening without providing free of charge analysis to Plusnet who have in all likelihood known about this issue for at least a month (as my neighbour has had them out 4 times recently) and just won't own up to a known issue. It would be simpler all round to be honest.

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Notthathappy 

I would like to confirm that @Baldrick1  is correct. PlusNet do not throttle downloads.

I have currently a physical download speed of 21.6 Mbs with a 23 Mbs throughput. I do use powerline adaptor and a wi-Fi extender and have been streaming Prime and Netflix these pass few weeks since I got a Firestick. Admitted I have upgraded my Powerline adaptors a few months ago, and ensured QoS was turned on for streaming.

Notthathappy
Hooked

Well the symptoms are pointing in that direction. Perhaps there is a fault. Either way they are selling me a service that doesn't work for several hours in the evening, and Plusnet have said that I've experienced outages very early in the morning when no one is on the net in our house. I just want it fixed. Not too much to ask of an ISP I think.

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Notthathappy 

Since you say this happens in the evening and that Plusnet are detecting outages during the early hours, then you could have a fault somewhere between you and the exchange. The other possibility is congestion, you are on a contended service  Like most people. It also possible that there is congestion on the backhaul from the exchange to the ISP, this is a tricky one since it would be BT Wholesale  or Openreach issue.

Ensure you have a fault logged and update the ticket with your findings, and try and give some example times. ensure they are aware in the notes of the overnight outages as well so they can do a deeper investigation. Also ensure they are aware your neighbour has simpler issues. get them to log a fault call as well to their ISP. 

Bear in mind it might not be a quick fix.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi there @Notthathappy

I am sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your connection, I've ran a test on your line today and everything is running as it should on the speed side of things and you've had 1 drop in the last 3 days. 

I can confirm that we do not throttle our connection at all. I've attached the GEA test results onto this Forum for you to view as well, I can see you've raised a fault about this already which is currently with our Faults Team, you can view this here, please feel free to attach your line speed test results on that Fault reference to help our Faults Team further Smiley 

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

est Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 305.6
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Weekends
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From21:15to21:30
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 0
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2020-11-04T14:15:00
 Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Notthathappy
Hooked

Thanks. I am keeping a log of the speeds but can't evidence the traffic type. Just getting in touch with the Plusnet support team is a major job however and I'm hopeful now that the ticket is open and they have sent me a new router, that they'll make contact with me?

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello @Notthathappy Smiley

I am sorry about our hold times, we are trying to help our customers as fast as we can during this awkward time - I can confirm that it is with the Faults Team and they will follow up this up with you. 

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Notthathappy
Hooked

Thanks.

This morning

08.29 2.31 up 3.09 down

09.11 6.7        7.22

16/11

20.37   3.61     4.06

20.31   2.91     9.31

15/11   1.11     7.94

0.36    0.02

14/11

21.10   2.57   6.77

and there's loads more

Notthathappy
Hooked

Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Notthathappy wrote:

I will run the tests again tonight (when the situation is at its worst) but frankly getting really cheesed off doing all this when nothing had been changed in my house since installing it, and all I want to do is relax in the evening without providing free of charge analysis to Plusnet who have in all likelihood known about this issue for at least a month (as my neighbour has had them out 4 times recently) and just won't own up to a known issue. It would be simpler all round to be honest.

You have to appreciate that the them that your neighbour has had out 4 times is not Plusnet, it is Openreach. We do nor know what Openreach are reporting to Plusnet.

With both of you suffering the same problem it does sound like a problem at the cabinet or further upstream. The issue is therefore to get Plusnet to escalate this problem to more experienced Openreach Engineers.

As some speed testers work in bytes, when reporting speeds it avoids confusion if you specify whether you are reporting mega bits per second (Mbps) or bytes (MBps) .

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Notthathappy
Hooked

A mysterious thing has happened. My circuit is now behaving itself. I have changed nothing. I will keep everything crossed for the next few days.

Notthathappy
Hooked

Things have improved but still variable and unusable at times, usually the evening, but not always. My neighbour received this:

KBD : In sync, MGALS reached, Line PASS, Correct profile assigned

SI : Fault located

Test Result: Timed Out - Fault located at exchange (BT Wholesale side of MDF)
Description: TIME-OUT - Check Exchange Line Card Circuit

Already raised fault in ECO

Radius : More than 3 DCN in 72 hours

Notes : Senior engineer required. Unable to arrange at this time as ECHATs closed. Contacting to book out basic engineer. Will follow up with echat . Potential REIN identified.

We are on the same exchange, may be the same switch.

tp