cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“This network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic.”

Chokelever

Re: “This network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic.”

Thanks. However, I’m still using the same router that was provided by BT. I didn’t get that message at the beginning of the week while I was still with them and neither did I get the message while using a Sky router at a different address yesterday. I’m still on iOS 14.7, so to my simple way of thinking this is all down to DNS used by Plusnet, which brings me to another question, but I’ll save that for a different thread.

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Can I suggest if you are still on iOS 14.7 which is rather old now, you at least upgrade to 14.8 as this will have had a number of security updates and might well fix this issue. My iPhone, and iPad which used to be on 14.8 never had the issue, now moved to 15 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Chokelever I've had a thought. What DNS server addresses is your router actually configured to use? Do they start 212 or 213?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Chokelever

@bobpullen 212. Are you thinking that the Safeguard DNS starting 213, might not have the issue? I’d prefer to use 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8, but I’m no longer able to set my own DNS server since switching to Plusnet.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Chokelever wrote:

@bobpullen 212. Are you thinking that the Safeguard DNS starting 213, might not have the issue? 

Complete opposite.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

neiltownsend
Dabbler

I think that this may be related to an issue I explored and proposed some solutions to in a separate thread - for some reason I missed this thread, where I probably should have posted it, the post is at:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/IPhone-iPad-Mac-The-network-is-blocking-encrypted-DNS-... 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm not 100% sure it's directly related @neiltownsend as the OP is not using Safeguard it seems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

neiltownsend
Dabbler

@bobpullen Fair enough - although I have just reread the thread and wasn't much wiser as to whether safeguard was or wasn't switched on for the various people on the thread. However, I can note that I completely eliminated those messages on iphone and iPad (both in the wifi connection page and on email) by making the changes I put in the post (option 1).

[[On another note, thanks for all your work on the now closed ".1.3" thread. Much appreciated. The thread closed before I could say so - I will report separately any clear evidence I have, but I'm stepping slowly. I might get lynched if I do anything too dramatic to the wifi with everyone home and it being Christmas. I am about to move the Fire Stick to the 5G wifi ...]]

bbakker
Hooked

I fixed it by Forgetting Network and then I joined my WIFI again with my WIFI password and this message no longer appears now… a simple fix.
Sparkrace22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My iphone 7 is on software 14.8.1 but i get the Privacy warning too, started this year.

If i shut my iphone down & restart then the warning goes, but comes back later.

cheers

Sparkrace22
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have done that a couple of times,  Forget my network, then rejoined,  but the warning re appears unfortunatley

bbakker
Hooked

@Sparkrace22 - Yeah, you're right. I have a brand new WiFi 6 router from Asus, and it looks like it does not support encrypted DNS, i.e. DNS over TLS (DoT) or DoH, as it is blocking this encrypted traffic, when I use my iPhone on my home network. So, in a nutshell, Apple have added extra security that most home routers do not support.

All we can hope is that our router providers provide a firmware update that supports DNSSEC (DoT or DoH) soon. There are workarounds to bypass the DNS in your router and to use a 3rd party DNS provider like Cloudflare that do support DNSSEC, but in reality, you have been using unencrypted DNS for years and this is just a Privacy warning message.

My 2 cents Smiley

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

@bbakker Are you sure your router is blocking DoT/DoH and it's not just that you're using Plusnet's DNS server and that doesn't support it?

Note that DNSSEC is something different - it provides authentication/verification of responses, not privacy like DoT/DoH does.
bbakker
Hooked

I am no longer with PlusNet, as I moved to full fibre. Checking my router, it is using the default DNS settings. I could play around with it, but to be honest, this issue is no longer bothering me.