cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This isn't acceptable (router rebooting for no reason)

demonix01
Grafter

Re: This isn't acceptable (router rebooting for no reason)

A little update on the matter as it appears that my connection has been stable for almost the last two and a half days, although that doesn't count what I refer to as micro drops where the connection drops for such a short time that the router doesn't notice and doesn't log anything beyond anything I see where sites just refuse to connect briefly.

I'm going to keep monitoring and situation over the remainder of the weekend and if the connection uptime hasn't reset by Monday, I'll update the ticket requesting the cancellation of the engineer appointment.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @demonix01.

It's good to hear that things are looking better, however keep an eye on things and let us know at the latest by tomorrow evening if you wish to cancel the appointment.

Let us know here if you update the ticket and we can get the cancellation actioned for you.

demonix01
Grafter

And now I'm not certain if the problem has been fixed as two out of three items said that I had a connection drop (those being twitch and OBS studio) however the third being the game I was streaming which also requires an internet connection was running normally the whole time, although if it was one of the few micro drops I'd experienced during this issue it might not have been for long enough for the game to have registered it (or I might have been at a point where I wasn't dealing with any enemies) and it might be that all I've been getting is these micro connection drops over the past 4 days and none of them have been when I've been actively using the internet(also, these don't register in the router so they're unlikely to be logged on any of your systems).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Our tests are showing the line stability as bad, so it's probably worth continuing on with another engineer visit as it's likely the cause behind the micro drops you're seeing that our logs aren't picking up on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
demonix01
Grafter

Before I update the ticket, I want to add my two pence beyond the engineer not completing the requested work and checks as all I can say is I was fobbed off by the engineer as he did mention the wet joint (or join) that was a possible cause for my issues and stated that there was a team at the cabinet working on replacing the cable which I found was a complete lie as I went out just after the engineer left to do some shopping and walked by the cabinet to find that there was nobody working there, plus he was stating that the connection has been stable for the past 6 days when that was incorrect as there was a connection drop yesterday at around 1PM (noted in the hub logs) and another today at around quarter to 11.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Thanks for the update.

Upon reading the engineer notes I noticed they've not indicated any work has been carried out, so I've requested our suppliers escalation team to pass this to team leader level to further escalate this with Openreach and to try to ensure that the next engineer who goes out completes a full investigation and carries out the work we've requested.

Let us know once you've updated the ticket with your availabilty and we'll ensure our suppliers are aware of this.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
demonix01
Grafter

Ticket updated, and lets hope that this is the last time I have to deal with an openreach engineer visit.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @demonix01, thanks for that.

Due to scheduled Openreach maintenance on their faults diagnostic and repair booking services, we're unable to book the appointment until around 17:00 this afternoon when the maintenance completes.

I've personally noted down your account and you'll receive ticket notification between 17:00 and 18:00 this evening with further information on your appointment schedule.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay.

demonix01
Grafter

Update on the situation as the engineer did come (rather close to the wire as I got the call at around 5 minutes to 1 in the afternoon when he was about to start work down at the cabinet) and did a lift and shift even though it was done as a precaution as openreach are adamant that the line has been stable with no connection drops being detected and is pointing the blame at a possible profile issue (considering when the connection drops, I get a solid orange b on the hub they might be correct) as that would be the only thing left to investigate since I'm now on a new line from the pole all the way to the fibre cabinet.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @demonix01 

Thanks for letting us know this. 

I'm now on a new line from the pole all the way to the fibre cabinet.

Please give us a shout if you notice that drops are happening on the new line. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

demonix01
Grafter

Another update as the line appeared to be stable for around 48 hours before it started dropping again although, I'm not sure if this is a continuation of the issue or just the line going through a training period (which I thought wouldn't be necessary on fibre) and I should wait until next week before having the issue investigated further (since all that is left to investigate is at your end since the whole line has been changed and there is nothing at this end that would be causing the drops).

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @demonix01,

I'm sorry to hear that your connection has started dropping again. Please keep an eye on this over the next week or so and let us know if this issue persists.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
demonix01
Grafter

Connection drops are continuing and even though there are instances where it appears to be stable without drops for a day (which were rare as since my last post, there has only been one instance where the connection didn't drop for more then 24 hours) there are noticeable signs of instability as communication on discord is patchy at best with conversations cutting out and one game I was playing on Tuesday was suffering intermittent lag spikes which made me think that a connection drop was due to occur.

If this lift and shift was actually done (as the engineer who did it appeared to be the same engineer who came the last time and lied regarding another issue that openreach were aware of (and might be a cause of this issue) was being dealt with when it wasn't) it means that either it was on the same line that was affected by the rain ingress beneath the cabinet which meant that it wouldn't have worked anyway, or there is something else that is causing the problem since I've eliminated as much of my internal equipment as I can unless I switch everything off and not have any internet connected items active as when the connection drops, the power light goes orange and and I get a solid orange b (which according to the booklet means that I have a connection but my account hasn't been switched on yet) then the b goes out and the power light starts flashing orange (which I'm assuming is the hub trying to obtain a DSL connection since the logs do state that PTM over DSL goes down and then comes back up) for around 30 or so seconds then goes solid with the solid orange b returning and remains for 20 or more seconds and then goes out and the power light goes blue.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm sorry to see that you're still having problems. It would be best to report a new fault with us next over at http://faults.plus.net please let me know here when you have. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
demonix01
Grafter

Why would it be required to file another fault report when this is still under the previous report which (and I checked this already) is still open