cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This isn't acceptable (router rebooting for no reason)

demonix01
Grafter

Re: This isn't acceptable (router rebooting for no reason)

I'm going to hold off updating the ticket for a few days for more observing to see if it is now stable as there was a connection drop 2 hours after the ticket was updated but I want to be sure if it was just a one off or if the issue is still there but can't be picked up by any automated tests unless the drop happens during the test.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Thank you for getting back in touch, @demonix01,

I'm glad to hear that your connection now looks to be stabilising and I'm sorry for any inconvenience that the fault caused.

Please let us know if you experience any further problems with your connection or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
demonix01
Grafter

Ticket updated as the stability of the line has gotten worse to the point where I've had at least 6 connection drops in the past 24 hours.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @demonix01, sorry to hear the issue persists.
I have progressed your fault forwards and updated your fault ticket accordingly which can be seen here.
Let us know how the visit goes.

demonix01
Grafter

Well, the engineer came and all the tests came back with no issues, but he did get in contact with the engineer that came last week and he mentioned that there was a rain issue (I can't remember what was said, but the first engineer was told that there was an issue that had been reported and was being investigated) that might be causing the issues with my connection drops (which are still happening even with the change to a pre-filtered faceplate) and that an openreach engineer had to push for it to be looked into quicker, so this issue is unlikely to be going away any time soon and there isn't going to be much that can be done from the plusnet end if what I mentioned previously is also correct.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @demonix01 

We will need to get the REIN info from the report that is supplied every Thursday to see if this has been added on. 

We will of course update you as soon as we get this info, or any other ad hoc updates from our supplier. 

Thanks, 

MoR

demonix01
Grafter

I just got a response on the ticket and I'm certain that the REIN into from the report hasn't even been checked as I was told that the fault appeared to have been fixed when the connection dropped at before half past four this morning and hasn't been stable for the whole week and shouldn't be considered to be fixed until there is at least 48 hours of uptime without any connection drops.

Also I suspect that my connection has been put back on interleaved as my download speed dropped on either Monday or Tuesday to 33478 with the downstream SNR margin currently sitting at 9.3dB when it was previously at around 6-7dB

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @demonix01 , thanks for getting back to us.

We're showing no reference to REIN at all in the engineer notes and aren't detecting a REIN issue on our testing.

The interesting thing here is the timing of the drops, as we can see that the vast majority of drops are around 2am most days. This would lead me to believe that something is causing these drops, an alarm system turning on, for example.

The frustrating thing is that as a REIN case hasn't been raised, we'd need to arrange for another engineer visit as we are unable to raise REIN cases from our side.

We're of course more than happy to arrange for this, please let us know.

demonix01
Grafter

I wouldn't consider 5 out of 10 drops to be a majority and I'd already ruled out a majority of the equipment connected to the router to be the issue (plus wouldn't something like an alarm system have to be connected to the same phone line to affect the connection as there isn't any kind of alarm system used) and looking at the radius data for longer then the week shows that there hasn't been much consistency  in the frequency of the connection drops.

Also looking at the radius data it appears that none of the losses of DSL sync when I went back to the openreach modem and hub zero between 13/2 and 18/2 were registered.

This is now starting to get out of hand and if this issue isn't resolved soon, I might have to take this to ofcom to get any form of resolution.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@demonix01,

Ofcom are the regulator and you shouldn't complaint about individual connection issues (Unless you feel we've broken any part of their general conditions). Any complaints, after being raised to us, follow the standard 8 week resolution process or deadlock process and then you can raise the matter to an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) service. Our chosen ADR is Ombudsman Services. Full details on our complaints process and how to formally log one can be found here. The ticket that's open on your account already has been marked as a complaint and you'll automatically get the ADR referral email at the 8 week mark (on the 56th day of it being open).

I've had a look at the history of the fault and the engineer notes from earlier just to see what's been happening, also I wanted to double check this REIN issue that was mentioned and I can't find anything in the engineer notes. The previous ones before 1st March were that there was an external fault and that was resolved, I think that's likely when the stability got a little better, before getting worse again. The engineer on 1st March doesn't appear to have found anything at all, but as you've noted there's still a problem but I'd be concerned about these 2-3am drops that are happening.

Other than this I would probably suggest we push this to another engineer visit, and raise an escalation with BT Wholesale (as this would be the 4th visit. 

demonix01
Grafter

The fact of the matter is that those here are making assumptions as to what the cause might be when the first openreach engineer was told that there was an issue with rain water that had gotten into a chamber under the cabinet (if I'm remembering what the second engineer said after he called the first engineer) and it appears that the openreach engineers can't even be bothered to escalate the issue which is why I'm starting to get annoyed with this issue not being resolved (and I'm certain that all the first engineer fixed was the issue I was having with not getting the maximum download speed the line could give).

Also I suspect that the issue with my max download speed has either come back or my connection has been put back on interleaved as after todays connection drop (which happened at around 1PM today) my download speed is getting close to what is originally was around when I put the hub one in.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm sorry for the issues you're experiencing with your connection.

I've raised an escalation with our suppliers requesting that the next engineer who goes out completes all quality gates and does a thorough investigation and arranges for whatever may be causing the issue to be sorted.

I've also moved your fault ticket 187283134 into a priority workflow that our faults advisers would work before most other tickets. We'll update you when we've had a response back from our suppliers in regards to the escalation.

In the meantime, if you can provide further availability on the ticket when you'll be free for another visit we'll book it in when we can. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I've We've added a reply to your fault ticket which you can view and reply to from here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=187283134

Once you've responded with your availability for another engineer visit could you let us know over here?
We'll then book the appointment in and notify our suppliers so they can escalate this with Openreach.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
demonix01
Grafter

Ticket updated with availability dates and times.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @demonix01 , thanks for confirming that for us.

You've probably already received the ticket and SMS but just to let you know we've gotten the engineer booked in for 20/03/2019 between 8am and 1pm.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance in the meantime.