cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This isn't acceptable (router rebooting for no reason)

demonix01
Grafter

This isn't acceptable (router rebooting for no reason)

Being slightly miffed about this situation is going to be an understatement as at the time the router decided to reboot itself I was around 10 minutes into a live stream and only really noticed it after I got a steam notification on one computer that it had lost connection to the other (for steam in home streaming) and I looked towards the router to find it in a state of being restarted.

There appear to have been no firmware updates that have been pushed to the F2704N as it's still on 7.275.11 (although there appears to be an update available that doesn't appear to have been pushed) so there shouldn't have been any reason for it to be rebooted.

82 REPLIES 82
mattboam

Re: This isn't acceptable (router rebooting for no reason)

These routers are shocking, really not fit for purpose! Good luck!
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @demonix01,

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue with your connection, and after running tests on your line we are seeing a lot of errors.

We would need you to do some checks in order to rule out internal wiring and your micro filter. We would advised to start with trying a new micro-filter and if the issue persists to move on to your internal wiring.

We would need you to plug your equipment into your test socket behind the front plate of your master telephone socket. A guide on how to locate this can be found here.

Once setup in there we would need you to monitor your connection and should the issue persist, raise a fault here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
demonix01
Grafter

@SammyM As I've said in previous threads regarding internet issues there is no internal wiring since this is a one room studio flat and the last time I did this a few weeks ago (plugging into the test socket and changing the micro filter even though the only other micro filter I have is the one I purchased after the line was installed last year as the previous address I lived at was fitted with a pre filtered faceplate as it was before plusnet did self installs) and it did no good (mostly because it was in external fault at the cabinet) but I have changed the micro filter I got sent from plusnet when I requested one over a year ago with the Belkin micro filter I purchased plus it's all connected to the test socket and I'll report back if there are any changes.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

As per my reply here/via your fault ticket(which actually looks to be closed now due to inactivity), the next step is either to send you a replacement modem/router for the postage fee of £6.99, or arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

Obviously you're free to buy your own modem/router if you prefer.

Let us know how you'd like to go ahead.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
demonix01
Grafter

@Gandalf I didn't consider this to be a connected issue (plus the finances were a bit stretched over that time which is why I didn't progress any further) which is why I created this thread (although I don't know if the errors that were picked up were in any way related to it) and even though things appeared to be stable after removing the faceplate and using the test socket with a different microfilter there were at least two to three noticeable drops (one where it was significant enough to lose connection to a game server and one that didn't although I'm going to have to look over the stream footage to see if it was just a one way drop) along with another reboot on Friday and another issue cropping up where nothing can connect to Wi-Fi until I turn off the router and turn it back on again which is why I'm requesting a replacement to at least get rid of those issues and see if anything of the other issues continue (although I don't think I've noticed any connection drops in the past week or so).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No worries. If your connection is dropping when your equipment is connected into the test socket then ideally we'd need to try a different modem/router and if that problem still persists then arranging an engineer may be the next way to go.

We're happy to send you a replacement but we'd charge a postage fee of £6.99. If you're happy to go ahead let us know and we'll raise a new support ticket on your account that you can reply to with confirmation that we can apply the charge.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
demonix01
Grafter

I am happy to go ahead with getting the replacement sent.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @demonix01, as sending the router out will cause a £6.99 charge to be applied to the account, before I send this out please could you just respond to the ticket I've raised on your account Here.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
demonix01
Grafter

I've had the Hub one running for almost a week and I'm certain the situation has gotten worse as the router logs have been showing the connection dropping on a daily basis (it states that the connection was terminated at the request of the user which is complete garbage as I rarely touch the router settings or even trigger a disconnect) or even less as I have just experienced in the middle of a game which requires an online connection along with the issues I was having yesterday with just updating a game causing drops (and I know the internet did drop as my roku has the flashing light of no internet connection and one of the apps on one of my computers lost connection along with twitch putting up welcome to the chat room messages which also indicated a connection issue).

I've gone back to the previous microfilter I was using when I has the previous setup connected to the test socket to rule out the microfilter that came with the hub one being the issue and I'll monitor the logs to see if there are any further connection drops.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @demonix01

Thanks for the update. You can view the last seven days of your connection here.

As you can see, there have been some physical drops in connection as you've described.

Following on from my colleagues' previous posts, if the drops continue with the alternative microfilter, I'd recommend raising a fault here so that we can ask our suppliers to investigate this on your behalf.

Let us know if you raise a fault.

Best wishes

Dave

mattboam

Hi, is they anything we can do about the poor WiFi? Really struggle to get a signal upstairs.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @mattboam 

Welcome to the Forums, sorry you are having a poor WiFi experience.

WiFi is merely an optional alternate gateway to access the internet - a wired LAN (Ethernet) connection is always the primary connection method, and is the only one which can be guaranteed on both speed and stability.

There are a large number of potential reasons for slow speeds and sometimes these are difficult to track down.

It's likely the problem lies between your router and your devices which we don't have visibility of.

Unfortunately due to the way WiFi works there are a lot of environmental factors which can affect the wireless signal.

Have you tried changing the wireless channels? If not, then please follow the steps here .

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

MoR

demonix01
Grafter

Still no dice as I've still been getting disconnects every morning and today I've had three connection drops today if you include the morning drop, so as a last resort I'm going to connect back to the test socket at the first available opportunity and I'll raise a fault depending on what happens over the next few days.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for the update, @demonix01

Let us know if you raise a fault after monitoring the connection.

Best wishes

Dave