Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Is a Nightmare

FIXED
bunnybee
Hooked

This Is a Nightmare

I have just tried to connect to Plusnet Chat online but my internet keeps dropping connection so I have had to come to the forum.

I have signed up for the  'Fiber Extra' (Plusnets fastest service) less than a week ago and I have had nothing but problems with it.

Ive done a speed test numerous times of each day everyday and the speed goes as low as 10mbps on fibre broadband?

The connection drops far too much as well and is very unreliable

I Have an Autistic daughter that needs the internet on her iPad for Youtube Kids as it is used as a comfort thing to keep her calm and when it loses connection she gets into a right state and its hard to calm her.

I am also starting an online business soon and need a stable internet connection to earn a living.

I have tried switching channels on the Router settings, Ive also tried changing between 2.4ghz and 5ghz to see what is the best and and most reliable but I have problems both ways.

Ive also contacting Plusnet a few days ago and what ever setting they tried had failed aswell.

Im also told that it could be interference effecting the wifi and the connection, but that isn't true as I was with BT and their connection was solid and I was with them for about 1 year and a half.

I am happy to keep my 'Phone Package with Plusnet but PLEASE someone with heart and a brain release me from this this internet contract nightmare.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: THIS IS A NIGHTMARE

Fix

If you still have your BT router then try that. Setting instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Use-a-BT-Hub-2-3-4-or-5-on-a-Plusnet-connection/m-p/1192234#... or here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

A gentle word about your business,, do not shout too loud about it as it's a contract condition that the residential Plusnet service should only be used for occassional work emails. They do offer a business service, which might suit you better.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @bunnybee,

I'm really sorry to hear of the issues that you have been experiencing with our services. As @Baldrick1 has suggested, are you able to try and setup your old BT router on our network?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
bunnybee
Hooked

I appreciate you trying to help and thanks for the link

In all honesty no one should ever have to go through all of that bother to get the internet/wifi to work the way it should, and the router supplied by Plusnet should be doing its job properly (if the router is the problem).

Ill try and set up the BT router to see if that makes a difference 

If the problems persist with changing the router I don't think I will be wanting to sign up to Plusnets business package at some point if they can't even get this right.

thanks again

bunnybee
Hooked

Hi there

I appreciate you getting back to me

Im not really tech minded and it would save me a world of pain and stress if you let me out of the contract for the internet so I can go back to the service provider I had as I never had any problems with the internet or connection to it. I enough problems to deal with and don't need this to add to it.

thanks

bunnybee
Hooked

Hi there

I have had a lot of stress with all of this, If you just let me out of the internet contract I would greatly appreciate it and I will happily keep the phone package.

I will go back to the internet provider I had before as it has been flawless

thanks

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: This Is a Nightmare

@bunnybee 

If you literally signed up 7 days ago then you are within the 14 day period in which you can cancel your contract

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @bunnybee

We're sorry to hear you feel this way and for the inconvenience the wireless connection issue is causing. I can assure you that I completely understand your frustration.

I have opened a ticket on your account to answer the query regarding the cancellation of your contract. Please click here to view my response.

In regards to the wireless issue, I understand that changing the wireless channels did not make a difference. There are many different devices that can interfere with your wireless signal, such as other peoples routers in the general area, TV's, radios, density of your walls, and general electrical devices in your home and all of which do send out frequencies. We also find that some wireless devices only work on certain channels.

If you had no issues with the BT router as you mentioned on the forum, then I highly recommend using the same router for our connection. I would suggest looking at the link posted on this thread that shows you how to set it up.

If you prefer to stick using our router, the next step would be to try and split the wireless bands. To do it you will need to get hold of any device with an internet browser on, and it will need to be connected to your Plusnet WiFi or plugged in via an ethernet cable to the router.

1. Please open an internet browser and navigate to the address '192.168.1.254' by typing it into the address bar.

2. You should be greeted by the router's main menu page (saying Plusnet Hub One at the top left). On this screen please click 'Advanced settings' from the four main options at the top of the screen.

3. At this point it will ask you for a password otherwise it will not let you through to the next page, the password to type in here is on the same little card that has your WiFi password on it and is labelled as the 'Admin password for Hub Manager'. The next page is just a screen that asks if you are sure you want to go to the advanced settings page, please click 'Continue to advanced settings'.

4. Now there should be a set of subheadings in the purple bar at the top, go to 'Wireless' (first from the left). Then there is a second set of subheadings just below where you just clicked 'Wireless', please click on the option that says '5 GHz Wireless'

5. There are two things to change on this page: Firstly please ensure that 'Sync with 2.4 GHz' is set to No (this is the second option down). The other thing to change is the 'Wireless SSID' (this is the network name as it appears when you are looking for WiFi networks to join). It doesn't really matter what you change this to as long as it is different to the name that was already there, to avoid confusion I recommend leaving it the same but adding '5GHz' to the end. Once you have made these two changes click apply and 'yes I am sure'

6. That's the hard part done, the final thing to do is to go around each of your wireless devices one time and connect them to the 5GHz network that you just set a new name for, in much the same way as if you were connecting to the WiFi for the first time.  You may find that  some of your devices do not 'see' the 5GHz network, do not worry about this most older devices do not have the ability to see the 5GHz.

Once this has been done, please monitor the quality of the connection for a couple of days and get back in touch if there are still issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, further to @Beyhive suggestion to split the wifi if you wish to use the Hub One router, here are instructions with pictures.  This is some times required to fix issues with Apple devices such as iphones etc.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

To complicate matters, there is another newer issue being experienced by some customers where the 5 GHz wifi simply stops working and so wifi devices cannot get internet access.  The current advice is simply to turn the 5 GHz wifi off if you witness this issue.

Best advice is to use your old BT Smart Hub. The smart hub is a vastly superior product.  The Plusnet Hub One is based on old BT Home Hub 5 which BT stopped supplying to their own customers 3 years ago.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
bunnybee
Hooked

HI Baldrick

I struggled but eventually managed to get the BT router working thanks to you and its been on for about 6 hours and so far no problems, no drop outs, speed is consistent and fast because of your help connecting it.

I just hope it stays like that lol

And thank you for suggesting business internet and that is something I will look into when I get started.

thanks again

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@bunnybee 

Thanks for the feedback. I discovered a long time back now that if you have problems then this forum is a good place to seek help.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bunnybee
Hooked

If I have have any problems In the future will definitely come back to the forum, thanks again for everything