cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of upgrading to fibre

Bigjohn
Grafter

Thinking of upgrading to fibre

I have been very happy with PlusNet with normal broadband but circumstance have changed and I need to upgrade to Fibre.

I currently have the master socket in the hall which is wired all the way round to my office.

I do not use wireless all my connections are wired to my router.

The router is a Netgear DGN3500.

What other equipment will be needed to enable me to switch over to fibre? Can I still use the Netgear DGN3500?

21 REPLIES 21
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Thinking of upgrading to fibre

The Netgear is a ADSL modem router, fibre needs a VDSL modem either as a separate unit or combined in the router..

If the Netgear has a EWAN port then you just need a VDSL (fibre) modem to go between the phone socket and Netgears EWAN port. There's always plenty of  EchoLife HG612 VDSL modems on ebay, IMO the ECI modems are best avoided.

Alternatively you could used the VDSL modem / router supplied by Plusnet or buy your own combined VDSL modem router, see the following list for more info:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

Bigjohn
Grafter

Hi npr, If I went with the PlusNet unit is that just wireless?

If it is located next to the master socket will I need to a power point to supply 230v to it?

Thanks for the info will take my time run through the various manufacturers.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

VDSL (FTTC) works the same as ADSL so you would simply replace your current modem with the PlusNet supplied one in the same location (if you don't get your own). The PlusNet modem would probably be the modified BT HH5 that they use (called the Home Hub). See  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

In addition to the answers above, we'd happily provide a built-in modem router [Plusnet Hub One] for just the postage and packaging charge of £6.99.

If you're still interested in upgrading, the best way to do that would be to contact our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 [Selecting Option 1, then Option 2].

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Bigjohn
Grafter

Hello Gandalf,

Many thanks for your reply/help.

My setup at the moment. - My master socket is my hallway and the normal telephone line goes around the flat to my office to a wall plate. From there, the normal filter is plugged in with the two out puts one to the phone the other goes to my Netgear router DGN3500. Then my computer, etc. is plugged into the 4 Ethernet sockets plus a couple of gigabit switch units to the Netgear unit. All my equipment is hard wired.,

Am I correct in thinking with fibre I will have a VDSL/ADSL modem (PlusNet modem) mounted as close as possible to the master socket and connected to the master socket via the filter. Then I will have to run a CAT 5 cable from the PlusNet modem to my office where I will now have a router.

My Netgear DGN350 will now be redundant.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Bigjohn wrote:
Am I correct in thinking with fibre I will have a VDSL/ADSL modem (PlusNet modem) mounted as close as possible to the master socket and connected to the master socket via the filter. Then I will have to run a CAT 5 cable from the PlusNet modem to my office where I will now have a router.

Aye, that'd be ideal.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The Plusnet Hub One is a combined VDSL2 modem/router so could be a direct replacement for the DGN3500.
It's a pretty decent spec for an ISP supplied device - dual band AC1600 WiFi, 4 port gigabit switch and a USB2.0 port for device sharing.
Bigjohn
Grafter

Hi Browni, thanks, but I was under the impression the "PlusNet Hub One" needs to be as close as possible to the master socket. My master socket which is installed in my hallway is a good 20 metres from my office where all my Ethernet connections  are currently plugged into the Netgear DGN3500.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Ideally your DGN3500 should have been located as close as possible to the master socket as well but properly installed extensions (which yours sounds like) can have minimal impact on a broadband service.
If you plugged the DGN3500 into the master socket now would you see any difference in performance?
Bigjohn
Grafter

Hi Browni,

Well I could try it. I will run the speed test in the office with my laptop then move temporally the dgn3500 to the master socket and run the speed test and then compare the two speeds. I will let you know.

Luzern
Hero

@npr wrote:

The Netgear is a ADSL modem router, fibre needs a VDSL modem either as a separate unit or combined in the router..

If the Netgear has a EWAN port then you just need a VDSL (fibre) modem to go between the phone socket and Netgears EWAN port. There's always plenty of  EchoLife HG612 VDSL modems on ebay, IMO the ECI modems are best avoided.

Alternatively you could used the VDSL modem / router supplied by Plusnet or buy your own combined VDSL modem router, see the following list for more info:

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

@npr That link is from 2014; we're now more than midway through 2017. IIRC the Kitz forum has more recent discussions.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
npr
Pro

The first post in that thread, the one which lists the routers, is maintained and kept up to date.

Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:25:34 PM by kitz

Bigjohn
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

Doing some research on the web I have read that the master socket can be "moved". There is a lot of info from current/ex BT engineers who show how the master socket can be extended with out jeopardising the BT side of the master socket. It is a DIY fix so will be cheaper than getting BT to do it. Are there any problems with extending the master socket?

If I can "move" the master socket to my office all my problems are solved as to power sockets, short lead from master socket to modem etc. Your views please.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can't really advise on a DIY fix for this I'm afraid.

In my personal opinion, it should be fine, as long as it's done by a qualified engineer/electrician [assuming you're not, sorry if that's not the case]. If there are any problems, you may need to pay an engineer charge from Openreach to rectify.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet