cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of upgrading from ADSL: some Q's about modems etc.

LordFox
Grafter

Thinking of upgrading from ADSL: some Q's about modems etc.

20Mbps seemed so fast just a few years back. I'm thinking of upgrading to the FTTC 78Mbps service from my current Unlimited Broadband service and have some questions...
1. I have a /29 IP block. Will I be able to keep that block with no change to the assigned subnet?
2. Possibly I will need a modem, rather than a modem/router (see below*). Does PN or BT supply modems, or just a combined unit? If I need to get one, am I right that something like a Huawei HG612 is what I need?
3. Otherwise, does whatever combined unit supplied have the ability to operate purely as a modem, or in a (half) bridged mode so as to just use one IP address (manually assigned from my public subnet) on both WAN and LAN sides? Then I can connect it to my current router as-is.
4. Is there any change to the master socket and filters at my end; I have a replacement master socket faceplate with a built-in ADSL filter that supplies all extensions. Will that need changing?
I think that's it for now. Money is tight so I want to make sure of what it's all going to cost me before I jump.

* My current setup is a Bintec modem/router with the WAN and LAN bridged; it uses just one (public) IP address and performs no other functions than routing between the internet and my local Private-IP subnet. This is connected to a Cisco ISR which handles multiple functions:
A. Firewall and monitor incoming traffic on the 'input' port.
B. Bridge the 'input' port to another port, making my (now firewalled) public block available there for some local hosts/services (a DMZ if you like).
C. Perform NAT/PAT for three private VLANs and static NAT.
D. Terminate an IPv6 tunnel, firewall it, and provide IPv6 connectivity on my /48 prefix on all VLANs and the DMZ.
E. Terminate my VPN for when I'm mobile.
F. Provide local DNS.
G. Route for all of the above.
H. Perform some rules-based bandwidth management.
I: Assorted other things like ntp service etc.
J. If I get the FTTC modem, PPPoE can be added to the above on the 'input' side of things.
Now you can see why I doubt a cheap-and-probably-not-very-cheerful router won't replace that. In addition, some of the things I do locally open *lots* of http connections, saturating my current 20Mbps line with data, to the extent that some routers are known to break under the strain.
Cheesy
1 REPLY
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 55

Re: Thinking of upgrading from ADSL: some Q's about modems etc.

AFAIK
1. I have a /29 IP block. Will I be able to keep that block with no change to the assigned subnet?
I believe so, but it will need a PN response to confirm.
2. Possibly I will need a modem, rather than a modem/router (see below*). Does PN or BT supply modems, or just a combined unit? If I need to get one, am I right that something like a Huawei HG612 is what I need?
PN are currently supplying a combined unit, the Hub One which is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5.
3. Otherwise, does whatever combined unit supplied have the ability to operate purely as a modem, or in a (half) bridged mode so as to just use one IP address (manually assigned from my public subnet) on both WAN and LAN sides? Then I can connect it to my current router as-is.
I don't believe the HH5 can be configured in modem only mode so I would guess that neither can the PN Hub one.I would also guess that it doesn't handle a public routed subnet either, although that is just a guess!.
4. Is there any change to the master socket and filters at my end; I have a replacement master socket faceplate with a built-in ADSL filter that supplies all extensions. Will that need changing?
Technically no, but a colleague of mine has recently discovered that going from a BT VDSL Mk2 faceplate to a Mk3 improved both his downstream & upstream sync by ~1Mb so I'd be tempted to source a new Mk3 faceplate.
Your setup is not a simple one so if I were you I wouldn't rely on any ISP provided router or modem. I would suggest sourcing a VDSL modem yourself, maybe something like the Draytek Vigor 130 or a modem/router that you know will support modem only mode. As an aside we've just had Fibre installed in the office ( from Zen ) and they supplied a TG589. They also supplied an ini file to configure it for modem mode and it's connected directly to our firewall which does the PPPoE connection.
Hope that helps