cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of upgrading from ADSL: some Q's about modems etc.

LordFox
Rising Star

Thinking of upgrading from ADSL: some Q's about modems etc.

20Mbps seemed so fast just a few years back. I'm thinking of upgrading to the FTTC 78Mbps service from my current Unlimited Broadband service and have some questions...
1. I have a /29 IP block. Will I be able to keep that block with no change to the assigned subnet?
2. Possibly I will need a modem, rather than a modem/router (see below*). Does PN or BT supply modems, or just a combined unit? If I need to get one, am I right that something like a Huawei HG612 is what I need?
3. Otherwise, does whatever combined unit supplied have the ability to operate purely as a modem, or in a (half) bridged mode so as to just use one IP address (manually assigned from my public subnet) on both WAN and LAN sides? Then I can connect it to my current router as-is.
4. Is there any change to the master socket and filters at my end; I have a replacement master socket faceplate with a built-in ADSL filter that supplies all extensions. Will that need changing?
I think that's it for now. Money is tight so I want to make sure of what it's all going to cost me before I jump.

* My current setup is a Bintec modem/router with the WAN and LAN bridged; it uses just one (public) IP address and performs no other functions than routing between the internet and my local Private-IP subnet. This is connected to a Cisco ISR which handles multiple functions:
A. Firewall and monitor incoming traffic on the 'input' port.
B. Bridge the 'input' port to another port, making my (now firewalled) public block available there for some local hosts/services (a DMZ if you like).
C. Perform NAT/PAT for three private VLANs and static NAT.
D. Terminate an IPv6 tunnel, firewall it, and provide IPv6 connectivity on my /48 prefix on all VLANs and the DMZ.
E. Terminate my VPN for when I'm mobile.
F. Provide local DNS.
G. Route for all of the above.
H. Perform some rules-based bandwidth management.
I: Assorted other things like ntp service etc.
J. If I get the FTTC modem, PPPoE can be added to the above on the 'input' side of things.
Now you can see why I doubt a cheap-and-probably-not-very-cheerful router won't replace that. In addition, some of the things I do locally open *lots* of http connections, saturating my current 20Mbps line with data, to the extent that some routers are known to break under the strain.
Cheesy
1 REPLY 1
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Re: Thinking of upgrading from ADSL: some Q's about modems etc.

AFAIK
1. I have a /29 IP block. Will I be able to keep that block with no change to the assigned subnet?
I believe so, but it will need a PN response to confirm.
2. Possibly I will need a modem, rather than a modem/router (see below*). Does PN or BT supply modems, or just a combined unit? If I need to get one, am I right that something like a Huawei HG612 is what I need?
PN are currently supplying a combined unit, the Hub One which is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5.
3. Otherwise, does whatever combined unit supplied have the ability to operate purely as a modem, or in a (half) bridged mode so as to just use one IP address (manually assigned from my public subnet) on both WAN and LAN sides? Then I can connect it to my current router as-is.
I don't believe the HH5 can be configured in modem only mode so I would guess that neither can the PN Hub one.I would also guess that it doesn't handle a public routed subnet either, although that is just a guess!.
4. Is there any change to the master socket and filters at my end; I have a replacement master socket faceplate with a built-in ADSL filter that supplies all extensions. Will that need changing?
Technically no, but a colleague of mine has recently discovered that going from a BT VDSL Mk2 faceplate to a Mk3 improved both his downstream & upstream sync by ~1Mb so I'd be tempted to source a new Mk3 faceplate.
Your setup is not a simple one so if I were you I wouldn't rely on any ISP provided router or modem. I would suggest sourcing a VDSL modem yourself, maybe something like the Draytek Vigor 130 or a modem/router that you know will support modem only mode. As an aside we've just had Fibre installed in the office ( from Zen ) and they supplied a TG589. They also supplied an ini file to configure it for modem mode and it's connected directly to our firewall which does the PPPoE connection.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.