cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of switching to fibre - puzzled by how it connects.

bin
Aspiring Pro

Thinking of switching to fibre - puzzled by how it connects.

I'd appreciate some advice on how BT actually connect fibre please.

We are 1.5km from exchange. There's a cab 350m away.

If I upgrade to fibre would BTOR simply run fibre from the exchange to that cab and then use the existing connection from cab to house, or do they run fibre right to my nearest DP/to the house?

The reason I ask is that we've had a number of problems with our ADSL which are - it transpires - almost certainly down to damage/defects on the stretch from the cab to our road. It's dropping 12Mbps over about 100m. However BT will not repair/investigate as 'it still works - so suck it up'. Now if fibre is only to the cab then I'd be wasting money upgrading as the cab is ADSL2+ and gets 16-19Mb and so we will not see any improvement.

15 REPLIES 15
dfunked
Grafter

Re: Thinking of switching to fibre - puzzled by how it connects.

As you say they run fibre to the cab and then the rest of it goes over the existing copper to your house.

ADSL connections are based on the distance to the exchange, VDSL/FTTC is based on the distance to the cab. Chances are if there's an issue with that wiring you'll still have issues if you move to FTTC, but 16-19Mb doesn't sound totally terrible for a 1.5km line though.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@bin wrote:
the cab is ADSL2+ and gets 16-19Mb and so we will not see any improvement.

Is this regarding a different account that's not connected to your forum account? As I'm quite surprised to hear you're getting 16-19Mbps based off your estimates.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 56.7 40.5 15.5 10.1 36.8 Available -- -- Yes --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 44 25 12.7 6 20 Available -- -- Yes --

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- -- -- --

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8.5 Available -- -- -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 7.5 Up to 1 6.5 to 8.5 Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

If it is the account connected to your forum account, then judging from the estimates, you should certainly see an increase in speeds by moving to FTTC.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bin
Aspiring Pro

The 16 - 19Mb figures are what I have been told by the OR engineers who have been visiting recently. So that is is just the speed that they are seeing exchange to cab - 1.1km.

A further 350m down the road we are getting a small portion of that. Last year we were getting 12Mb.

Both engineers have indicated that speeds between the cab and the entrance to our road which is about 100 m from the cab - so 1.2km from the exchange - are at 5-6 Mb on all lines. That is an insane drop. Since it all seems to indicate a cable fault - the pole at the end of the road was hit by a car - right where the connector bundle thing is mounted. However both engineers also indicated that BT wouldn't do anything about it as it still works.

So my thinking was if we can get FTTP then that should get round the issue. If however, as it seems, its FTTC and then existing last leg it will be a waste of money as we won't get any faster than we're getting now.

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

To answer one of your other questions the fibre will already have been run to your local fibre cabinet to the task of switching you to fibre is one of jumpering your copper line from you property to to a spare fibre connection. Any faults on your copper to the cabinet will still be there but the fibre will be new to you.

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

If you are on an ADSL product it is the distance from the Exchange that matters.

If you switch to FTTC then it's the distance to your cabinet that counts.

Brian

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

While it does sound like a big drop in speeds from what engineers have reported at the cab vs what makes it to the house, you're still around your estimates for ADSL, so while it can only really be an educated guess at this point, the estimates for FTTC still suggest a big increase from around 6Mbps to around 40mbps on the low end.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bin
Aspiring Pro

I see where you're going and at the risk of boring, last year or the year before, the cab went to ADSL2+

BT sent out emails to their customers saying you'll all get faster broadband - and we did too - as I said I was on 12Mb for a year.

Now, all users in our road - all 14 of us - are getting 5 - 6 which is lower than I was getting with PN before the increase from ADSL2+

Based on what was said above I understand that there will be more muscle at the cab, so our reduced fraction of that will still be greater than is is now, which makes sense - thank you.

Is it likely that unducted aluminium on the last 50m will have any impact on the fibre speed - it doesn't affect ADSL right now?

rbaker10
Hooked

I think the concept of Fibre is usually to cover the longest distance (exchange to the cabinet/fttc) but from the cabinet to the premise is covered by copper which would not be very far. There is a maximum distance which they must not exceed from the premise to the cabinet, I think. In effect, your speed from the exchange to the cabinet is the speed of light.

We experienced a drop from 2Mbps to 0.60Mbps (maximum) on ADSL line, the difference doesn't seem a lot but for loading pages and streaming, it was impossible. There was no obvious fault detected but when we switched to Fibre, our speeds only just over exceeded the maximum for our area. The speed has dropped to 25Mbps now but that is expected as more people probably joined fibre/the cabinet and Plusnet use traffic prioritization too.

There is a minimum which the speed must not drop below in every area otherwise an engineer should make a visit when you raise a fault.

I can not guarantee this is the most accurate resource but use speedtest.btwholesale.com and carry on through the process until you reach a screen, with your results, that displays a button "Further Diagnostics." This will give your current speed and estimate speed range which, I think, it must be within.

Hope your issues get resolved soon. Smiley

rbaker10
Hooked

Bare in mind that the Fibre minimum download speed will be higher. Ours is/was 25Mbps minimum on FTTC, where as on ADSL it was around 1/2Mbps. If that minimum speed is not exceeded then BT must do something about it.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Too true. ADSL we used to get about 1.5mb. Fibre, 60plus Megs as a min. As you say if you fall below the minimum OR will do something about it. Just been there myself - seems I had HR joints on the line. I doubt if they would ever have been fixed on ADSL, whereas on Fibre (and dropping below the minimums) OR spent quite some time out here fixing the line. And the difference, with problems and after they were fixed  

But the distance to the fibre cabinet is critical as to how fast the line will eventually be. The exchange in my case is 7.1km away. The fibre cabinet is much more nearer. The other thing to bear in mind is that as the cabinet fills up, crosstalk can become an issue. I've yet to see a return to the good old days of getting over 70megs. Best thing to do is junk the speedtests (unless things have obviously slowed down) and just enjoy what speed you get!

And interesting to read that ADSL performance tailed off. I used to get a solid 2mb on ADSL, which plummeted as soon as the Fibre cabinet went live. No reason ever given.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
bin
Aspiring Pro

Hmm - that IS interesting. I'm below gteed minimum at the moment on ADSL and no interest at all in fixing a blatant line fault. Do BT really give priority to fibre connections - or are there just more penalties for falling outside the SLA with the reseller?

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Couldn't tell you for sure. All I know is BT (who I was with at the time that the ADSL speed dropped) didn't seem too bothered. Funny enough I used to notice things much more readily on ADSL than I have ever done on fibre.

With fibre, as long as your speed is above the hand back threshold, even OR don't seem to do much. Drop below it though and the ISP seems to be able to get OR involved much easier.

I've always thought though that ADSL was always an 'up to Xmb/s' product with no minimum.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry that your fault has returned @bin

I've raised an escalation with our suppliers, we'll hear back within the next 4 working hours.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I changed my parents to Fibre some months ago. All is good so far.
Don't know how far they are from the exchange but must be a good few km, knowing where it is.

Also their landline went down twice for a few days in about two years, had to report a landline fault. Which shows how good the connection was to there.

I think the most we could get is 1Mb download, I asked PlusNet and they essentially said "That's the best you're going to get". To be honest that was the answer I was expecting to hear.

The final straw for me was when I tried to download a 170Mb file (think it was a windows update or a driver, can't remember now), which was taking forever and I ended up using my 4G data tethering to be able to download it, being fatser. Then my sister tried to work from home and complained about the speed.

No cable down their road (even though it is a busy road, guess it must cost too much to install), thankfully Fibre was available so I really had no choice to switch to it.