cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of Moving from BT infinity to Plusnet fibre - worth it?

yessuz
Hooked

Thinking of Moving from BT infinity to Plusnet fibre - worth it?

basically, got totally unlimited, not managed, 76 mbit down, 20 mbit up plan.

but similar plan from plus net is quite cheaper.. 

but what about traffic management, shaping and upload speeds?

22 REPLIES 22
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Thinking of Moving from BT infinity to Plusnet fibre - worth it?

Your speeds will be pretty much the same as plusnet buy the bt broadband product from bt wholesale, so upload/download will be same.

the shaping is not like people used to think of it, plusnet shape your connection individually to prioritise say voice and gaming over windows updates etc, so plusnet arent throttling video/p2p over other traffic at peak times, just kaximising what speed your connection if for traffic(according to their shaping pages!)

yessuz
Hooked

hm, sounds good.

and are there any limits for the upload? for example - if I upload like 3 gb/hour then my up speed is capped as let's day 50% or so?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

A warm welcome to our community forums @yessuz

Our Unlimited Fibre Extra package is advertised as 76 Mbps downstream, and 19 Mbps upstream, however, it's based off the wholesale product of 80/20.

As for traffic management, it's more of prioritisation within a household. This link explains how it works:

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-traffic-prioritisation/

I hope this helps

[Edit]

Just removed the dot in the upload figure to indicate the correct speed for Fibre Extra. Apologies.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I see MrSilver got there first.

and are there any limits for the upload? for example - if I upload like 3 gb/hour then my up speed is capped as let's day 50% or so?

To answer your question, no we don't limit uploading.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
yessuz
Hooked

please clarify - 1.9 or 20 mbit upload? kind of 10 times difference here!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Apologies for that, just noticed it and edited my post. Fibre Extra is advertised as 19 Mbps upstream.

JanAitken54

Don't move to Plusnet Fibre... for last few weeks have had only 2MB download as and upload! No information on web or here as to when it will get fixed.
Will be switching immediately to another provider.
dsalazar
Dabbler

Slow speeds, packet losses, inaccessible sites (Steam Store, Reddit) have plagued Plusnet the last few days.

Keep away until they they sort this out.

0rangecake
Dabbler

Go with someone else. Constant problems with PN.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

I'd ageee they had some issues recently, but for me it wasn't constant and always effecting me, since last night it's much better will see if the fix lasts.
I used to be on BT infinity and would say I've not had more problems here than there.
yessuz
Hooked

well, this worries me a bit, as I have absolutely no issues with BT. Well, just price...

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@yessuz wrote:

well, this worries me a bit, as I have absolutely no issues with BT.

I've been here since early '14. There was a six month period during the first half of '15 when every couple of months I'd end up on a poor connection but bouncing my connection usually fixed it. It was annoying but more from the a technical point of view because it took so long for them to resolve it.

But in terms of actual days of poor connectivity I'd say less than a week's worth in 2.5 years.

The only thing I usually criticise PN about is their support (excluding this forum) and the silly [-Censored-]-ups that seem to plague their installation process. Once you've got your connection running the way you want in my experience it continues to deliver at full speed 24/7 most of the time.

I've been out of contract for over 18 months now and I'm a regular contributor to various technical broadband forums and I'm still here. The only technical thing I could fault PN about is the lack of IPv6. Not that it prevents me doing anything but it's getting a bit silly now.

yessuz
Hooked

right, many thanks for the input!

I still have few days to decide where to go.

another option, of course, Virgin. but their upload sux a bit. so not really sure.

got kind of three options now:

- stay with BT. the "green cabinet" is like less than 100 meters away from the house.. 

- go with PN. Using same infrastructure as BT,

- go to Virgin (existing virgin connection to the house is present).

decisions, decisions...

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

The only comment I'd have about Virgin is that they do tend to run their network 'hot'. This means peak speeds often drop significantly in the evening (but still usually higher than you'd get over your telephone line). The real issue is that if you're a gamer their network can also suffer from high levels of jitter and latency.