cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of Moving from BT infinity to Plusnet fibre - worth it?

yessuz
Hooked

Re: Thinking of Moving from BT infinity to Plusnet fibre - worth it?

hi,

used to be gamer (oh those sweet Quake 2 days...) but nowadays - a bit of occasional gaming only, but only in the evenings (after 9 pm) Smiley

I am most concern actually on the upload/download speeds and throttling and prioritisation of VoIP over other means.. kind of useless.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Hi

If you look at the link on previous page it has

We put every type of online activity into a category:
High – things that need lots of speed like gaming and internet phone-calls
Medium – things like streaming and general internet browsing
Low – things that are less time-sensitive like software updates

So gaming is prioritised higher than streaming, so game and someone kicks off iPlayer or Netflix your gaming game traffic isn't impacted.

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-30Mb-or-higher.html Isn't exactly clear on tier thresholds and when you get capped. Virgin also works differently to the green cabs as you share your neighbourhood bandwidth

If you google Virgin peak speed problems there are loads, but then again most big isps have slow customers complaining somewhere so if you have had stable fast with BT is it going to save that much to move? Maybe try calling their sales guys to say you want to leave to get better price (tell them plusnets price).

If you move you should get better gaming performance here, and hopefully the packet loss issue is resolved - lots on that thread saying of after last night hits fox but will see.
victorhoy
Dabbler

Stay where you are, I have Fibre Max with this lot. 73/18 for 18 months and suddenly changes to ip profile of 38.4 and they say there is no problem, so I pay for 80/20 and get only half that. Support is useless.

waynepyrah
Grafter

A couple of years ago I'd have said go for Plusnet but customer service nowadays is diabolical. It takes at least 40 mins to speak to them on the phone and 'live' chat takes at least 30 minutes. It's a joke.

I've woke up this morning to a complete outage of internet which I reported about 9am. I got home at 7pm and after queuing on the phone 35 mins no one answered so I hung up and went on chat that took about 40 mins to be told 3 days is standard for it to be even picked up. There's no comments from Plusnet on my fault ticket. Even a complaint takes them 5 working days to answer.

It's really bad at the moment.

When it's working it's great but any issues and you're stuck in never ending queues with staff that are obviously swamped with work.

Yet they're not caring about service and just focusing on new customers. Have a read through the forums here and you'll soon spot the pattern.

Now it's 8.45 and I've got nowhere after wasting 2 hours of my time.

Sad to see.
yessuz
Hooked

just wanted to update you guys.

I was moving houses, so BT could not offer anything, actually... just 45/month (instead of 51 I currently pay).

after I moved and settled in I decided - that's it.

So I called to BT retention team. talked with them few minutes, and got  BT Infnity 2 (76 down / 20 up) for 37/month for two years. Line rental included.

It was just £5 more than I could find on plusnet, so I thought - it will be better just to stick with what I know... Wink

thanks for all the feedback anyway! Smiley

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Come back and have a look in 2 years 🙂

If it's just £5 more that's a good deal as you can get their hub 6, cloud storage, feee wifi and 55meg download on the cheap package, so worth the extra!
yessuz
Hooked

yub, will come back in two years time Cheesy

shah312
Hooked

any update?

I am thinking of doing the same, already have homehub6/smart hub with BT so thinking of keeping this over the plusnet version which I understand is homehub5 rebadged.

What's your experience been?

As a current BT subscriber, it is totally up and down and customer service solution to problems is offer a more expensive broadband or mobile contract - they get commission obviously and it is not a solution for random connection issues or price rises