cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about fiber upgrade

Alex2x
Grafter

Thinking about fiber upgrade

Hiya guys. My BB contract runs out in March I think. My current Download speed is a shocking wait for it.....3.7Mb.

So you can see why im seriously need an upgrade. My problem is, I dont want engineer visits drilling and running cables.Virgin want to run a horrible white cables through the house.

Am I correct in saying that if I sign up for fiber with Plusnet, all I would need to do is install the new Router into the existing telephone socket in the house.

5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Thinking about fiber upgrade

If it's the common FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) that you are talking about then basically yes.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Plusnet fibre

= no problem (no guarantee!!) - but go here to check - my (your) data transfer speed log in req'd

= no engineer visit (to your home)

= no drilling

= no running wires

(Virgin = imo yep, horrible)

New Plusnet Hub One = yes (+£6.99 p&p)

existing socket = yes

me = commission from Plusnet = not a flippin' chance!!

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Alex2x

Have you checked at the BT broadband checker website for what estimated speeds you would get on FTTC?

If not then look at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome? and just enter your phone number. This is the same data that Plusnet would use to decide if you could get FTTC and at what speeds.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jameshanner
Dabbler

My experience of 'upgrading' from ADSL to Fibre has been swapping a reliable service of roughly 12Mbps download to an unreliable service that sometimes runs at 51Mbps (yay!) but a lot of the time is 0.85-3.00Mbps (boo!), which is what I've got right now. 

PlusNet say everything's OK at their end. I'm paying them. That guy DS ^ has been very helpful btw. The advertised increase in speed looks great. In reality, being tied into an 18 month contract with no support isn't.

Alex2x
Grafter

Oh well it's in order now if it doesn't work I'll stop paying them simple as.

Thanks for all your help guys much appreciated