Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These frequent short disconnects

Stu9560
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

These frequent short disconnects

Is there a network fix on the way for these? They're happening too often, and have been going on for too long.

9 REPLIES 9
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: These frequent short disconnects

@Stu9560

Are you on the Plusnet Unlimited Fibre (40/2) product and using the Plusnet Hub One router?

If so, do you sync to cloud service or backup?

And are the interruptions showing as disconnects /reconnects to the internet in the router?

Then the thread to ask for help is https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Plusnet-fibre-broadband-does-not-cope-with-uploads-and...

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Doesn't look like your issue is the one in the thread linked to by @SpendLessTime as the line hasn't actually disconnected in over 41 days.

Are you by any chance using a wireless connection and do you see the same disconnections on a wired connection?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Stu9560
Dabbler

Hi Chris

Thanks for responding. I'm using ethernet cable and powerline adaptor, but another person who uses wi-fi devices notices the dropouts at the same time I do.

I don't use any cloud services or do any online backups.

Stu9560
Dabbler

Been happening a lot today. Router shows blue light throughout.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

You don't appear to be having broadband disconnections so I would suspect the powerline adapters, I have never had reliable connections with them, can you try an Ethernet cabled connection?

ChrisGilfoy

I have this problem and it's infuriating. Not an actual dropout, but speeds drop massively for 10 seconds to a minute or so.

Netflix/Amazon Prime slow to a poor quality stream and occasionally stop altogether. It's every 5 mins or so at peak times.

When I called I was just told it was probably wireless and to use the auto channel select, but it makes no difference.

Line speeds are very good - 60mbs when I do tests, but when these very frequent drops happen it can barely play an internet radio station.

It happens on all devices in all areas of the house - all via wifi.

Help! Never had these issues with Sky. It's clearly a router problem but I'm loathe to buy another one and spend more money solving a problem that Plusnet should fix.

Chris
ChrisGilfoy

Have just read about switching to the latest BT hub 6. Will give that a go and report back.
ChrisGilfoy

BT Smart Hub 6 has solved the problem. Seems that the Plus.net router is unfit for purpose in a number of ways.

Stu9560
Dabbler

Thanks for this Chris. Interesting to know but I see that on Amazon there's a fair few complaints about ... frequent dropouts. But if it works for you, maybe it will for me too. I'm not inclined at present to spend the cash on buying one but will bear in mind. So far the dropouts have been annoying rather than critical. But I worry that one might coincide with me doing something that matters like, eg, making a payment by internet banking or submitting work to my employer's portal. Still got a while to go on the PN contract and I'm happy otherwise with the service but I shouldn't have to hold my breath when doing important stuff that could cost me if the line throws a wobbly. Hopefully it won't come to that.