cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The speeds are getting stupid now. (in the bad way)

Ruddy
Dabbler

The speeds are getting stupid now. (in the bad way)

Ok so I never raised this problem until today because it just seemed like a congestion issue. At peak times speed would drop to around 5Mbps on my 40/20 connection for over the last couple of months and i think its fine I can just switch more intensive tasks to off peak hours and continue casual use during peak times.
However the last couple of days things have gotten so bad it is impossible to use during peak hours casually. Now I get around 5Mbps during the day off peak time and at night off peak time. The speeds I get during peak time are slower now ranging from under 1Mbps to and 2ish at most.
peak time speed test:
peak time BT wholesale speed test: down -1.33 up- 4.95 ping -71
                                                                down - 1.07 up - 2.26 ping - 135
                                                                down - 1.50 up - 5.00 ping - 286
Stats/other info
Exchange: glenrothes north
Router: technicolor Fttc
connection tests ran on : wired ethernet
sync speed: 40mb
normal speed before problems : around 40mb give or take 1 or 2 mb
Does it dc alot: no, before and now are stable in that regard
perhaps your router is the problem? - no it is not unless consistent speed drops in relation to time of day is a 'router' problem

My thoughts are it is either an exchange problem or plusnet. Either traffic management, some sort of balance problem at the exchange or congestion none of which i can tell for my self.
I have raised a fault with plusnet, however thought i would post here incase any help that I can do or anything that will help prove my point etc is available that the knowledgeable folk here can point me to.
11 REPLIES 11
biglee1974
Grafter

Re: The speeds are getting stupid now. (in the bad way)

Just to say buddy, it is not normal or acceptable for speeds to drop to 5Mbs during peak hours. If more folk speak up sooner, BT will need to be a bit more proactive!
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Your issues seem very similar to another thread in almost the same area.
I'll make sure our Faults team are aware.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
biglee1974
Grafter

Ruddy - You are going to have to raise this as a fault.
I've gone through the process, only to be told by Plusnet that they now need to send an engineer out to my house! Its so obviously nothing to do with my connection (and is an exchange issue) but apparently BT wont check out their exchange before things are ruled out at the customer home?
I have no issue with this, except I am away for the next week.
I would like to think this would be solved by then if somebody else were to raise a fault. You're that man!
Ruddy
Dabbler

Already raised a Fault .
So far:
We are currently performing tests on your broadband service which will allow us to investigate the problem you've reported.

Please be aware if this is a new fault that this can take up to 24 hours.

We'll contact you as soon as we have more information and let you know what happens next.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your support request has been escalated to the correct team for review.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will keep you updated in this thread. Lee. Yeah seems considering us both in the same area(different sides of gtown) with pretty much the exact same problem that has a relationship to time in regards to donwstream and upstream speed - that the problem lies anywhere from exchange(my bet) to gateway most likely and less so end user to exchange. Though I'm not qualified in anyway lol. ken what I mean like
This is my purpose! As long as its not in the evenings or early mornings I'm working lol
biglee1974
Grafter

To be fair, I'm closer to North than central. Live over beside balbirnie woods, opposite Balfarg junction on a92.
It's me and you being the eyes for glenrothes!
Ruddy
Dabbler

TBH Im fae leslie (which is glenrothes now anyway) but there is no exchange in Leslie so it goes through G north lol

never had BQM setup so just did. Dont know if this normal (only been going 2hrs) mabye it will even out later but........lmao............I may have done something wrong lol

Cheesy
biglee1974
Grafter

hehe - no thats not normal. Glenrothes fibre is stinking right now, but not to that level (ok, not far off it!)
All red means you either have the wrong IP address set in the BQM tool, or your router is not configured to receive and process ping requests. Try again!
Estragon
Rising Star

And he needs to be on a Static IP address.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

He doesn't Need to be on a static IP address Dynamic will work it's just that if the session or connection drops he would have to set up a new graph, I have used TBB graphs with a dynamic IP with no trouble.  
Estragon
Rising Star

I know. I just have a feeling the poster may be disconnecting quit frequently  :).
I hope you delete your dead ones  ;). Otherwise some other person may wonder what the Ping is.
rockintone
Grafter

Hi, I am having similar problems on the Glenrothes North Exchange. My download speed drops to 1mb in the evening yet is up to my 38mb in the early part of the day. It's been like this for two days now.  I should say that I am with Bt. There was a similar problem about 6 months ago, I had two engineer visits with no fault found at my end (could have told them that). It turned out to be a problem and I quote "with the Fat pipe" on the a92 serving the exchange. Sounds to me like this is an openreach issue.  Anyone else still having problems?