cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The first 72 hours of fibre, what to expect?

Atlantean

The first 72 hours of fibre, what to expect?

After watching my fibre availability like a hawk for 2 years, fibre has finally come to the village and I got my order in, (first in the village, keen or what?!).
Engineer came out on Tuesday and the expected line speed was between 73 and 75mbs so I was overjoyed when for the first 24 hours I was experiencing between 75 and 79 mbs download and 19-20 mbs upload speeds. I was told there might be fluctuations for the first 72 hours but since yesterday afternoon, download speeds have dropped to 22mbs whilst upload speeds have remained fairly steady at 15 - 20 mbs.
Obviously I'm quite disappointed and rather hoping that it's just sorting itself out, but has anyone else experienced this and does it normally go back to what you were initially getting?
I'm probably being impatient as its still only nearly 48 hours since it was installed, but I can't help feeling a little concerned.
Cheers
7 REPLIES 7
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: The first 72 hours of fibre, what to expect?

What does the Plusnet speed settings show?
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
It's likely that is is set to ADSL speeds hence the slow download but the high upload.
If the speed is incorrect then contact Plusnet either via Chat or phone and tell them that the "Current Line Speed" is not set to the FTTC speed.
Once it is set correctly and you have verified it by the URL above then log on to the router, then press the disconnect button, wait a minute and then reconnect to get the new speed.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Atlantean

Hi George
thanks for the quick reply, I'm just doing the school run now but will check when I get back
cheers
Atlantean

Estimated line speed:
80Mb (This may vary between 71.3Mb and 80Mb) - Checked on 2015-12-01 19:04:48
Current line speed:
21 Mb
Thanks very much for the advice, I'll contact them now and try and get that sorted. Just out of interest do you think that this happens often?
cheers
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

No it tends to be when first upgraded to fibre, for some reason the PlusNet line speed does not get set correctly. Once you get it sorted it should stay at the correct value. Smiley
Atlantean

Thank you.
Atlantean

Great, all fixed now, thanks for your help everyone  Smiley
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Altantean
Glad it worked out.
Bookmark the URL just in case  Wink  you never know if you will need it.
Hopefully you shouldn't but I still check mine every time I see a slowdown just in case.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT