Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The end of the line.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

The end of the line.

Well that's it then, after seven visits from British Telecom (BT) over ten weeks, nothing it seems can be done to increase my broadband speed for it's previously 'just about' 3.5mbps to it's current 'never better and often worse' 1.5mbps. What a shambles, and one it seems caused by the copper wire system being degraded due to the massive amount of work being done in order to install fibre optic cables - which in this area we were promised for "not later than March 2015". So what happens now? What happens it seems is that I'm to be stuck with an abysmal service until we get fibre optic connected - which always looks imminent going by the number of BT vans seen flying around, but never actually happens.

Pretty poor show guys, and desperate times for plusnet to be fair stuck in the middle between customers, and BT having to explain why nothing can be done and fobbing us off it seems with booking up yet another visit for yet another flummoxed and head scratching BT engineer.

"Where to now Batman?"....... "I've no idea Robin"

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
2 REPLIES 2
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: The end of the line.

This has gone on for a couple of months now, and I feel that we're chasing all we can on this.Apologies for the poor experience so far.

You may be right in that the line has been degrading, and if this is the case, there's little we can do to improve the technology.

According to the notes, the line seemed to be testing to it's max capabilities when the engineer arrived yesterday. I have rejected clearance of the fault and I'll pass on the notes to our faults team.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: The end of the line.

Thanks for your reply Matty, much appreciated although I feel there is little that can be done - hence my attempt at injecting some humour into the situation.

The issue does seem to be one of the line degrading for want of a better word, and one beyond a solution. As fibre replaces copper at least up to those cabinets, the latter is going to suffer. I used to work as a television engineer and can well recall when colour television first arrived (yes, I am that old!) and the slow inability to provide a service to customers with those black and white television sets. 

I did suggest to your Help Assistant over a month ago (on the 1st of April as it happens) that rather than continue as we have done with all these visits that I/we accept the situation for what it is and pay just a monthly line rental fee until hight speed fibre becomes available at which time I would be more than happy to pay the required fee. I cannot be the only plusnet customer with this type of problem surely?

Just a thought.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville