cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The end of the line with PlusNet - 1Mbps on fibre

jkerr82508
Grafter

The end of the line with PlusNet - 1Mbps on fibre

After upgrading to fibre in January of last year, I had a stable connection, with download speed of about 30Mbps and the Line speed as shown on the web site was at about the same level.

On April 25th of this year I experienced numerous disconnections and on April 26th my download speed dropped to about 15Mbps. The Line speed was also reduced to about the same level. The line then appeared to be stable at this level.

I reported the drop in download speed to PlusNet on 2nd May and was told that initial testing had confirmed a line fault.

More testing was done on the weekend of 7th/8th of May and the report was that there was no fault on the line and that the disconnections must have been caused by me or my equipment. The fault was closed by the provider. I am not aware of having done anything to cause the disconnections. My equipment is online 24/7.

(During that weekend the download speed and Line speed both increased to about 30Mbps, but on Monday they both dropped again to about 15 Mbps.)

This morning,  Wednesday 11th May, my Line speed and download speed were reduced to less than 1Mbps.

I replaced the router, the cable between the router and the modem and have eliminated a switch on the cable between the router and my computers. (Replacing that latter cable is not practical. It goes through the wall and the ceiling to an upstairs room.) But of course the Line speed set by PlusNet continues to limit my download speed.

I have never used wifi.

1Mbps is less than I can get with a mobile broadband dongle. After 17 years with PlusNet (during which I have, until now, experienced excellent service from PlusNet) I am now making plans to cancel the landline and broadband from PlusNet and switch to using mobile devices for Internet and telephone. It will no doubt cost more, but I have no desire to spend what is left of my life struggling with this mess.

See also ticket number 124969195

5 REPLIES 5
neilmmb

Re: The end of the line with PlusNet - 1Mbps on fibre

Oh dear, how awful - good luck!

Haybasha
Rising Star

I think I'd be giving them a call again as there is obviously something wrong.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Blunt reply, but have you tried the test socket? Lips_are_sealed

NE

Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
jkerr82508
Grafter

After months of frustration, OpenReach, on the 10th (tenth) visit to my premises, eventually resolved the problem, by connecting me to a different line. My connection been stable since then (about 3 weeks ago).

Jim

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi jkerr82508,

Thank you for getting in touch with us and letting us know that this has now been resolved. If you do need any further assistance then please do not hesitate to get in contact with us and we'll be more than happy to help.