cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The all new FTTNEC service

djelite
Grafter

The all new FTTNEC service

I have the all new FTTNEC service. FTTC = Fibre To The Cabinet FTTH = Fibre To The Home FTTNEC = Fibre To The Next Estates Cabinet
But I will still be charged the same as customers who are on FTTC, actually this would go for for the whole of my estate. Most annoying is the fact the cabinet serving my estate is not fibre enabled and is literally out side my back gate.
So despite BT roll out informing Milton Keynes Broadband Action Group that this estate will have FTTH, We don`t even get FTTC.
I get get  good connection speed but due to the length of some of the cheapest crappiest wires around i also get a lot of transmission errors causing upto 2 second stalls.
When we pay for FTTC we expect FTTC and not to next estate, I know this is not a plusnet problem as such but as part of BT maybe they could push to resolve this issue.
I have noticed that all the richer estates to coin a phrase got fibre first, Very discriminatory if you ask me.
jim:red All caps in title changed as per Forum Rules mod:end
16 REPLIES 16
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: THE ALL NEW FTTNEC SERVICE

@djelite
I'm in a similar position, I'm nearer to one exchange but connected to the Sheffield centre exchange which isn't in the plans for FTTC, so I understand the pain you're feeling here.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
djelite
Grafter

Re: The all new FTTNEC service

Hiya Chris, from what you say you are worse off as you do not have fibre at all.
Despite saying to Plusnet sales staff that i know for a fact the the cabinet on my estate is not FTTC enabled, They insisted BT was saying it was.
Trading standards have said this product may come under unfit for purpose/miss sold as when FTTC was explained (even though i know being a IT and network engineer) I was told the connection would be to fibre in the nearest cabinet on my estate, which is not the case.
Downloading is far faster but streaming still hanging and buffering.
I was being sarcastic with FTTNEC as this should be as described and via the cabinet on my estate.
tonycollinet
Grafter

If you have FTTC to a further cabinet, that is because that is where your phone line is connected. You can't have fibre to the other cabinet if your line is not connected to it.
reddev87
Grafter

Exactly. Each FTTC cabinet is paired with an existing cabinet for voice services. Your DSL/fibre  and voice services always route through the same linked pair of cabinets.
So if your DSL/fibre routes through the cabinet further away, then that is in fact where your phone line is served from, and not from the cabinet closer to you.
Some people aren't connected to their nearest exchange i.e. Chris, and some people aren't on their nearest cabinet either. It all depends on how BT have the area laid out.
I'm not on my nearest cabinet either. There is one literally 50 metres from the end of my garden, but I am connected to one about 400 metres away.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I wish I could be connected to another cabinet by copper instead of my inhibited ally job  Angry
Let's be careful out there !
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: djelite
Most annoying is the fact the cabinet serving my estate is not fibre enabled and is literally out side my back gate.

If that cabinet gets enabled ask for a new line to be installed to the shed at the bottom of your garden!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
djelite
Grafter

Kremmen, ally here too so further it travels the greater the degradation. Too others My line is served by the cabinet that is closest but BT did not run fibre that far.
The estate the cabinet serving fibre is on is all privately owned and this estate council.
You need to know the story behind how Milton Keynes has always been treated concerning broadband.
The estate the exchange is on was one of the last to receive fibre, The first estate to receive fibre to premise is miles from the exchange but also oddly enough a lot of local Councillors live there,
AndyH
Grafter

Where about's in MK are you?
djelite
Grafter

AndyH Give you 3 guesses. LOL  Tinkers
AndyH
Grafter

Eaglestone/Beanhill/Pennyland - how close am I? Smiley
Edit: I am surprised that you will not be getting some form of fibre. Unless you're on a new build site, something like 98% of MK is supposed to be covered with fibre under the BDUK contract.
djelite
Grafter

AndyH I have got fibre, But served from Passmore cabinet. During sales pitch and FAQS
3.What does it mean for me?
Much faster speeds! Unlike standard broadband, the distance from your local telephone exchange doesn't determine the speed you can get.
With fibre optic broadband, the distance from your nearest green street cabinet and the quality of the line between the cabinet and your property determine your speed.
What I am trying to state is that the sales pitch was such and the reality is not and BT will not extend the fibre and upgrade the the cabinet serving this estate. With the wires being ally that extra distance alongside a main dual carriageway makes a difference, Disconnections during high usage times and a lot of noise induced errors.
I even had to go out and replace with a better vdsl2 modem which has its own vectoring to try and cut down some problems.
AndyH
Grafter

It looks like there is a shared FTTC cabinet (P2) between Passmore and Tinkers Bridge.
What's the cabinet number next to you? What does it say here for your cabinet http://www.dslchecker.bt.com ?
djelite
Grafter

Will check the number in a bit.
AndyH
Grafter

I have a suspicion that two PCPs share one fibre cabinet.