cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Unusable "New" Network

russellede
Dabbler

The Unusable "New" Network

Having over the last few nights found my connection to be virtually unusable over the past few afternoons (through to late evening), I looked at my router settings and noted I was now on a sticky 51.6.x.x IP. I then looked at these forums and noted several threads related to similar issues across what is apparently the "new" network, vis-a-vis poor latency, packet loss, high ping, slow connection speed, lag spikes, etc.

Clearly, there is a major issue with the infrastructure in this new network that makes it virtually unusable, and it clearly cannot handle the traffic levels it is getting during peak hours. Certainly, gaming or any other latency dependent activity is out of the question now on peak hours. What actions are Plusnet taking to rectify this clear issue? How long should we expect this substandard service?

For what it's worth, I'm on the 80/20 unlimited service, download speeds and upload speeds are fine during these periods, but the latency is awful.

17 REPLIES 17
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: The Unusable "New" Network

What does it say here ?? http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
russellede
Dabbler

Sorry, the tool failed to identify your gateway; this does not mean that anything is wrong with your connection.

Posting the following information as a reply to the Gateway Checker Issues topic in the Community forums will help us to diagnose the problem.

• core2-hu0-18-0-0.southbank.ukcore.bt.net (62.172.103.24) 6.228 ms

Further, I know several users have been asked to try a tracert to Plusnet's ntp server. Mine is as follows:

tracert ntp.plus.net

Tracing route to ntp.plus.net [212.159.6.9]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ARCHER_VR600 [10.0.0.200]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 8 ms 10 ms 8 ms be3-3106.psb-ir02.plus.net [195.166.143.140]
5 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms be1.psb-ir01.plus.net [195.166.129.176]
6 7 ms 8 ms 7 ms cdns01.plus.net [212.159.6.9]

Trace complete.

athruntalan
Grafter

@russellede

It's been mentioned in some of the other topics, but there is maintenance scheduled for tomorrow to replace and repair some of the hardware on the network. With luck this'll resolve the issues - not just linked to the 51.x.x.x network, mind you, but also with the 209.x.x.x.

If not, log a fault with https://faults.plus.net

russellede
Dabbler

Brilliant, I had read through some of them, but clearly had missed this, will hope for this maintenance to fix the issues Smiley

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi russellede,

Hopefully they will sort this issue for you but if you find you are still experiencing the same issues then please raise this to our faults team at faults.plus.net so that we can investigate this further with our suppliers.

Also from checking your account I can see that you are due for a renewal which can save you money each month on your service and also provide you with our new Plusnet Hub One. If you want to enquire more about this then please contact our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 and select option 1 then option 2 and they will be able to run through everything for you.

Uskapants

Thank you so much for this comment! This latency has been killing us!

scottrc
Rising Star

It's so much worse during peak hours too, so it's definitely a traffic problem. Would be nice if Plusnet actually acknowledged it though, or at least investigated it rather than just hoping BT might fix it on Thursday.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

unfortunately i dont think a customer experiencing connection problems is likely to be asking for a new Hub one and renewing his contract .
I would like to think that fixing his problem was the main priority .
The amount of time it takes to fix this would help to make his mind up to leave or stay not a hub one

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

I have to agree. BenB's "hopefully this will sort it for you" I think is just wishful thinking rather than some knowledge about what the customer is experiencing and what is causing it.

I am happy to be proved wrong.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@athruntalan wrote:
It's been mentioned in some of the other topics, but there is maintenance scheduled for tomorrow to replace and repair some of the hardware on the network...

This maintenance has been completed so keep an eye on things and shout up if the problems persist this evening.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

athruntalan
Grafter

Thanks Bob. Fingers crossed this'll deal with the problem!

russellede
Dabbler

So far this evening, my connection seems to be back to normal. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days, but for now at least it seems to have been resolved for me.

russellede
Dabbler

It had been going so well over the weekend until tonight. Lag and packet loss are back and are making my connection useless. If this problem doesn't get resolved soon I will be looking for a new ISP as this is really beyond unacceptable, Plusnet need to classify this as a major fault and react accordingly.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Sorry to hear the issues have returned. We've plenty of eyes on it, so hopefully we'll get to the bottom of things before too long. Appreciate your patience.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵