Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Plusnet Way

Gussie
Grafter

The Plusnet Way

Been with Plusnet since May 2014 - Unlimited Fibre 76Mbps
Original Speed estimate given was 33-38Mbps
Managed to get 51Mbps after a few tweaks by Plusnet for the first two months.
Since then my download speed has dropped steadily to 40Mbps - Plusnet will do NOTHING because they keep referring to the original estimate.
Been on to Customer Retentions - all they will offer me is a drop to £14.99 for the Unlimited Fibre 38Mbps product, they will not offer the old pricing of £9.99 because they now offer Evening & Weekend calls which I and most other folks don't need.
If I move to the Unlimited Fibre 38Mbps product - Plusnet will probably shift my speed down to 33Mbps in due course and claim mothing is wrong!
THIS IS THE PLUSNET WAY !!! THEY CERTAINLY DO YOU PROUD !!
26 REPLIES 26
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: The Plusnet Way

"If I move to the Unlimited Fibre 38Mbps product - Plusnet will probably shift my speed down to 33Mbps"
Thats some kind of paranoia you have going on, I dropped my package down to 38/20 and nothing has changed, infact, slightly better Smiley
tonycollinet
Grafter

Just to be clear - PlusNet are not dropping your speed.
The system is designed to deliver the best speed it can. If your speed drops, it is due to the nature of the system - most likely due to your neighbours getting fibre, and the amount of crosstalk from their lines increasing. It is a technical limitation that no-one can do anything about.
chrcoluk
Grafter

the most likely cause is crosstalk, if your speed has steadily and slowly gone down, it is probably not classified as a fault by BTw/openreach hence the response you got of plusnet.
Gussie
Grafter

Quote from: tonyAtplus
The system is designed to deliver the best speed it can. If your speed drops, it is due to the nature of the system - most likely due to your neighbours getting fibre, and the amount of crosstalk from their lines increasing. It is a technical limitation that no-one can do anything about.

When I first joined in May 2014, on Day 1, I got around 43Mbps when I questioned this I was told I was lucky to get anything above my original 33Mbps estimate. I persisted, and several emails later I was getting 51Mbps and continued to do so for around 2 Months, at which time the speed slide started.
If Plusnet can boost my speed from 43 to 51Mbps overnight, then they can also cut it very easily - safe in the knowledge that the original estimate rules!
I have no doubt my speed will continue to steadily drop.
There is no way I'm risking a new 18 Month contract at £14.99 for the 38Mbps product with Plusnet - I have no doubt tthat they will contrive to reduce my speed to the original estimate - that seems to be the Plusnet way !
My 12 months phone line saver package with Plusnet will be up in May 2015 at which time I'll be off to BT, even if I have to pay a cessation fee. I will see what happens with the BT 38Mbps product- at least they are willing to offer 12 Month contracts.
Razorback
Grafter

Why would Plusnet want to reduce your speed, it seems a strange conspiracy theory. If you move to BT you will have exactly the same issue, they use the same line and equipment.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Gussie,
Just to add our comment to your thread we definitely don't deliberately withhold anyone's connection speeds.
We'd gain nothing from doing so other than some very upset customers and more complaints to deal with (which we definitely don't want)
Sorry to hear your speeds have dropped a little all the same, this can unfortunately happen over time in some cases when the uptake of fibre services to the same cabinet you're connected too has increased.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
daskinner
Grafter

Quote from: Gussie
Quote from: tonyAtplus

When I first joined in May 2014, on Day 1, I got around 43Mbps when I questioned this I was told I was lucky to get anything above my original 33Mbps estimate. I persisted, and several emails later I was getting 51Mbps and continued to do so for around 2 Months, at which time the speed slide started.
If Plusnet can boost my speed from 43 to 51Mbps overnight, then they can also cut it very easily - safe in the knowledge that the original estimate rules!
I have no doubt my speed will continue to steadily drop.
There is no way I'm risking a new 18 Month contract at £14.99 for the 38Mbps product with Plusnet - I have no doubt tthat they will contrive to reduce my speed to the original estimate - that seems to be the Plusnet way !
My 12 months phone line saver package with Plusnet will be up in May 2015 at which time I'll be off to BT, even if I have to pay a cessation fee. I will see what happens with the BT 38Mbps product- at least they are willing to offer 12 Month contracts.

Good bye and good luck.. please do post back one here once your with BT and let us know how your getting on.
Gussie
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
... Sorry to hear your speeds have dropped a little ...

I have dropped from 51Mbps to 40Mbps - that's not "a little" in my book!
And the point is that my download speed KEEPS dropping - when will it STOP dropping ?
I guess it has to drop below 33Mbps - before anyone will investigate.
My account states ...
Estimated line speed:
    There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
    47.4 Mb
Please clarify the above statements in the light of my current BT Wholesale test attached below.
Furthermore why do I have to enter a new 18 Month agrreement If I wish to downgrade to your 38Mbps product?
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Gussie
I have dropped from 51Mbps to 40Mbps - that's not "a little" in my book!

When it comes to crosstalk on FTTC that's very little of a drop, the estimates are made with the future crosstalk taken in to account. There are people especially people first connected to a cabinet that have dropped from 78 down to mid 50Mb.
thesawdust
Grafter

you are lucky to get them speeds, You know BT infinity will have the same problem. My parent in-laws had infinity installed and had full 80mb? now they get 63mb.  Smiley
Crosstalk you can't win. BT also don't like sending engineers out and support are not based in the UK.
Enjoy the same problem on BT
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Gussie it's not worth trying to argue any points because to BTW / BTO  your point of view doesn't matter the estimate is all that matters as long as your BTW speed test doesn't drop into the red they couldn't care less what you once had or what you now get, i have been down this road with them and Plusnet you only have to search for one or two of my threads to see that.
I have gone from 65Mb with a Estimate of 67Mb which lasted almost 3 months to 50Mb the drops were due to line faults but despite them being fixed ive gained nothing back and BTW / BTO wont do a thing about it because i'm still above my estimate,  BTO cut my estimate from 67MB down to 37Mb when i had my first line fault with no reason given and they certainly don't go by the original estimates the one i have now i fear stands.
I have no clue if my speed will drop further or if i will gain anything back, i have been told it's crosstalk then to many line errors even though tests and engineer visits come back clean then something else a combination of things frankly it's hard to say what is 100% correct but I know there isn't anything i can do about it so i have given up trying.
I wish you luck but your fighting a loosing battle BTW / BTO wont budge unless your speed drops into their speed tests red zone and sadly there isn't anything plusnet can do either they certainly wont fight your corner for you.  

oh the reason you would have to take out new 18 month contract is because you would be changing products ie from the 80/20 to 40/20 changing requires a new contract. 

Gussie
Grafter

Quote from: daskinner
... Good bye and good luck.. please do post back one here once your with BT and let us know how your getting on ...

Quote from: Razorback
...  If you move to BT you will have exactly the same issue, they use the same line and equipment ...

I have accepted that my download speed will fall to my original estimate of around 33Mbps and that with BT it will probably be the SAME.

But the fact that Plusnet are forcing me to accept a new 18 Month conract for the downgrade to 38Mbps at £14.99 PER MONTH is rubbing it in.
IT IS NOT MY FAULT THAT MY SPEED HAS DROPPED INTO 38Mbps TERRITORY - WHY SHOULD I BE PENALISED INTO ANOTHER 18 MONTH CONTRACT !!
I will wait until May this year when my annual phone line bill is due and then leave - paying an early 6 Month cancellation fee. There's every chance BT will STILL offer introductory 12 Month contracts and I'm sure I wont be paying £14.99 per month for their 38Mbps product.
picbits
Rising Star

I've dropped from 73Mb to around 42Mb (sometimes up to 50Mb) - it happens.
I was expecting it.
I've not kicked off about it - I run my own email and web servers as well as sharing the connection with a data hungry teen stepson. 42Mb is more than sufficient.
As the neighbours have all taken up FTTC I've seen a gradual drop in connection speed. I may ask for a line reset at some point but as my connection is very stable (which is what the Modems job is - to reduce speed until a stable connection is achieved) I'm not too fussed. My uptime give or take the odd router reboot (not modem) is currently at 2543 hours.
I may consider a move to the 40Mb capped speed - save a fiver a month in the process but I'll probably not get round to that for a while either.
In contrast my next door neighbour on the same cabinet but with TalkTalk and on their FTTC product gets around half the speed I do - sometimes is best to be happy with what you've got Cheesy
Gussie
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
... I may consider a move to the 40Mb capped speed - save a fiver a month in the process ...

Would you be happy to be forced into another 18 Month contract ?
Reluctantly it seems I have to accept that my downoad speed may drop to whatever the original estimate was before anything is done - it still however seems a convenient arbitrary measure. Do you take the figure stated at the start of the contract or the current figure - because it varies all the time!