cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible fibre speeds - small claims court process

PNrubbish

Terrible fibre speeds - small claims court process

My fibre drops to around 2Mbps in peak hours, 16:00 - 23:00. I've been through the trouble ticket process since 3rd October with no success. They initially denied contention but I installed a data logger that showed the issue. Still they had to get an openreach engineer on site outside the peak hours which of course showed good speed. At least the openreach guy knew some similar issues with plusnet.

Enough is enough I'm going to buy out of the contract after 2 months and go back to a competent provider like Infinity. I appreciate plusnet is part of BT but this just shows how bad they are. With the evidence I have I plan to get a small claims court action to get the cancellation charges recovered, and some bad publicity for plusnet. Has anyone tried this?

4 REPLIES 4
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Terrible fibre speeds - small claims court process

I estimate your chances of success in court to be zero. In any case it's likely your troubles will follow you to your next ISP so it's better to get them fixed now and save yourself the hassle and cost of switching providers. Can you give us the name of your exchange? If there is congestion somewhere it's most likely there rather than PN's network and only switching to an LLUO like Sky or Talk Talk will resolve exchange congestion. For other ISPs BT usually fix it within a few weeks.

Also, how was testing performed. Wired or wireless?

FrustratedElmer

Get through to the PlusNet technical guys and ask them to organise a release from contract terms.  If you have a guaranteed speed that is not being achieved they can't hlod you to it.  The commercial mob don't know one end of things from the other, but the techies can mark your file for a no-cost release.

They were very helpful with me recently when I was thinking about dumping out half way through because of 12 months worth of problems.  If the initial contact can't help (probably not) just persist and ask for a team leader or manager.

In fact, before you do that, have you exhausted the route of elevating your problem further up the food chain at PlusNet?  It's all the same hardware and infrasrtructure as changing to BT and the grass might not be greener elsewhere.  In fact, I've found PN to be very good at trying to sort BT line problems whereas a neighbour who is with BT direct is close to suicidal after dealing with them.

PNrubbish

Success! PN released me from my contract.

The secret is persistence and finally reference to these:

The Ofcom Voluntary Code of Practice
The Consumer Rights Act 2015

After this a manager agreed that I should be able to leave my contract with no penalties.

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

good luck finding another provider that won't have this problem!

should get BT infinity - sure you'll have same problem. Thumbs_Up

Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up