cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible fibre speed

Esily

Terrible fibre speed

I've got Plusnet Fibre and am having speed issues. I've tried to do everything the site tells me to do and I'm still having problems. 

My account shows my estimated line speed as 32Mb. My current line speed in my account is 7.6. 

Btwholesale speedtest shows 7.41 download and 1.77 upload. Interestingly, perhaps, it says the maximum download speed is 7.63 while maximum upload is shown as 20. Why is maximum nowhere near what Plusnet say it should be? Why is download close to maximum but upload very far away from it?

Backing this up - speedtest on my ipad shows 7.36 download and 1.85 upload. 

The only socket (a double) is being used, the router is in a sensible place. It makes little difference whether I'm sat in front of the router or on the other side of the house. 

Help! 

8 REPLIES 8
geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Terrible fibre speed

Hi,

Can you try testing again connected to Ethernet. If you still have the same problem please raise a speed fault at faults.plus.net

James

Esily

I have already tried it connected to ethernet with the same result. 

bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Two questions, that might help us understand your problem:

1. Is this a new fibre connection that you are trying to get going, or a longstanding one that used to have good speed but has now dropped in speed?
  2. What modem are you using? Is it a Plusnet Hub One, or something else?
Esily

It's not a new connection, but it's never had good speeds ever sinced I swopped to fibre. It's only now I have a regular need to use skype and facetime that isn't driving me bananas! 

It's a Plusnet Hub One, yes. 

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

If you log on to your router and go to the Troubleshooting / Helpdesk page there will be a table of data. Entries 6-10 may be useful, if you could copy and paste them into here, like this:

6. Data rate: 1999 / 39950
7. Maximum data rate: 25631 / 79064
8. Noise margin: 30.4 / 17.5
9. Line attenuation: 17.1 / 15.2
10. Signal attenuation: 16.4 / 15.2

(Your numbers won't be anything like mine but that doesn't matter, we just need to know what yours are saying).

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Sorry to see your speeds are lower than what we'd expect, given the estimates for your line.

Testing the line is showing that the connection is in sync at these speeds, so it's not as if it's being throttled via the account and will unfortunately need further investigation from our suppliers.

I see you raised a fault on 09/10/16 and we'll make sure this is picked up and responded to as soon as possible for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Esily

Thanks for this suggestion. Here you go. 

6. Data rate: 2261 / 7885
7. Maximum data rate: 2262 / 8622
8. Noise margin: 6.4 / 7.5
9. Line attenuation: 35.6 / 28.9
10. Signal attenuation: 35.8 / 22.6
bobminors
Aspiring Pro

Yes, those numbers confirm that your line quality is poorer than it should be, so it's not anything on your side of the socket that's wrong. But I see that people are already on to it Thumbs_Up