cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible few weeks for disconnects and now a massive speed decrease

chris-w
Grafter

Terrible few weeks for disconnects and now a massive speed decrease

I have been experiencing a lot of disconnects recently, way more than previously and now a massive speed decrease, this service is becoming unusable. I have replaced EVERYTHING from the modem (Vigor 130) and the Router (Asus RTAC88U) this issue also happens on the standard PlusNet modem / router and no I'm not prepared to switch it back any more or waste any more of my time re my hardware.

The service seems to be permanently bouncing around, this was an issue I experienced in the past and it seemed to settle but now its back with a vengeance and I'm just going to have to change supplier if this isn't now resolved properly. Like most people I have been working from home a lot and I am unable to do very much because of the dropouts.

May 4 13:07:25 pppd[1225]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
May 4 13:07:25 pppd[1225]: Connection terminated.
May 4 13:07:27 WAN_Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
May 4 13:07:27 DualWAN: skip single wan wan_led_control - WANRED off

Engineers have been here multiple times and just report that there is no error on the line at all which is not the case. Can one of the PlusNet Admins please help me ASAP as I just cant continue like this...

@Gandalf and @MatthewWheeler were both of assistance last time this happened.

Previous post of the exact same issue can be seen here 

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-dropouts-engineer-reporting-line-is-perfect/m-p/...

10 REPLIES 10
chris-w
Grafter

Re: Terrible few weeks for disconnects and now a massive speed decrease

Quite surprised not a single response to this, noticed that the admins just leave lots of people to deal with their own problems these days so much so I have started to look in to replacement services.

Not really sure why Plusnet consider it OK leave a customer just floating regardless of issues. Its been weeks and I'm still experiencing the same shoddy service and very frequent disconnects.

I am seeing SNR between 3 and 9 which is 100% what is causing my issues.

snr.jpgsnr2.jpg

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thank you for getting in touch via our community forum, and I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your service. I've run some tests on the line this afternoon and have found a potential issue with your broadband service.

However, before raising this with our suppliers and booking in an engineer appointment, we'd need to determine the source of the fault, to ensure that it is not caused by internal wiring / equipment defects. Please follow the steps outlined below and let us know if these do not improve your connection.

As you may know, your internet connection has recently been very intermittent. This also causes your speed to decrease. I've sent you an email with some troubleshooting steps that you can take to ensure that the source of the problems are not within the property.

-Adam - Plusnet Leeds

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
chris-w
Grafter

Hi @adam945 I've been through everything already my end. Nothing I can resolve, I've spent literally 12+ hours fiddling (All my hardware here is brand new) and a low SNR as pointed out is not something I can do much about my end I don't have nay devices or other hardware causing electrical noise / interference.

The broadband is connected to the brand new Master Socket 5C and is the only line connected so there is nothing that could be causing noise at all.

I've seen issues with noise that could potentially be related to extremely wet weather conditions but that's just a hunch. Its possible I'm going to need the lines swapping out as I do have a spare copper line from an old land line I haven't used in ages.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @chris-w,

I'm sorry to hear about this. If the troubleshooting steps haven't helped to resolve your issues, we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further. I've updated the open support ticket on your account regarding this, here. Once you've had the chance to read and respond to the ticket, please let us know on here so that we can pick this back up for review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
chris-w
Grafter

Hi @TheMightyAJ I think I have filed in everything necessary for an engineer to visit. Just a heads up I have had engineers here before and because the SNR is all over the place sometimes it is fine and sometimes it is terrible. This makes it a pot luck experiment as to the engineer identifying the problem which is why its never been resolved with past visits.

chris-w
Grafter

Just for the sake of documenting this I checked the SNR again just now and its going down again.

snr3.jpg

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I'm not qualified to say whether it's relevant or not, but I notice that we've now seen three screenshots of stats from the router, all with different SNR figures, yet the up and down sync rates don't change.

Also, wouldn't the upstream normally be somewhat more than 4295 with a downstream of 54997?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @chris-w,

I've check back on the ticket and I can't see any engineer availability slots have been provided. Please note to add onto the ticket you'll need to login to the Member Centre and respond via this link.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
chris-w
Grafter

Don't really know, its been going down all day today every 10 minutes and its swinging wildly between 14 and 2

snr4.jpg

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @chris-w,

Just a quick update on the fault raised, I can see that our suppliers have booked a non-appointed task in the last few minutes. This essentially means work is going to be carried out over the next 2 working days and then we'll get a further update from them. Our Faults Team will get in touch as soon as possible once this has been received, but if you have any further queries in the meantime, please don't hesitate to update this thread.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team