cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Fibre Broadband Speed

jamesjcoleman70

Terrible Fibre Broadband Speed

My plusnet fibre broadband is far too slow.

According to BTW Performance Tester, the achievable range of speeds is 44 - 77.43 mbps.

The test shows I'm getting 8.47 mbps.

I can't get through to Plusnet support to get this resolved. Any ideas what I can do about it?

5 REPLIES 5
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Terrible Fibre Broadband Speed

Please start by repeating your speed test with all other devices disconnected from your network, your device plugged into the test socket behind the outer faceplate and using ethernet cable connection, not wifi. Post your result again and I'm sure someone here will suggest possible solutions.

jamesjcoleman70

Thanks for your reply.

I did the speed test under the conditions you outlined:

• only one device connected to the router
  • Device connected to the router via an ethernet cable inot one of the ethernet plugs on the back

The results shown above are the ones I got under those conditions.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Thanks James, that eliminates the wifi, for consistency suggest you continue on ethernet for rest of testing as wifi can produce odd results. Should have asked if your phone line is noisy, check for a quiet line on 17070 option 2.

Have you followed the procedures outlined here ? What router are you using, and can you provide router stats? People on this forum can interpret these and provide further pointers. If it can't be sorted then it's a call to Plusnet who will probably raise a fault ticket.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@jamesjcoleman70 wrote:
  • Device connected to the router via an ethernet cable inot one of the ethernet plugs on the back

What does this mean? Are you using home plugs or something?

jamesjcoleman70

Thanks for your reply.

I've now got a ticket raised with Plusnet who have confirmed there is a fault and are looking into it. Hopefully, they'll get back with something soon.