cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminally Unreliable Connection

Cyberi4n

Terminally Unreliable Connection

As you can see from the attached, our speed is and has been all over the place for months now. Having been with force9/Plusnet since the late 90s I’m afraid to say this is the worst it’s EVER been. I’m on a fibre package - up to 56mb I think.

I’m also unable to connect the fibre modem directly to my computers as they’re both mac laptops and neither have a Cat5 network cable socket. So I can only go as far as speed tests via WiFi. I’m pretty certain though that this isn’t an internal WIFI issue, given how up-and-down the connection is.

Using a Plusnet supplied router but IIRC the last time I tried to update the firmware I was unable to run the .exe as again we use macs.
11 REPLIES 11
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Terminally Unreliable Connection

Hi there 

unless you can try a wired connection to your router you can't eliminate either line problems or  wifi .

what router do you have ? Do you have a separate Openreach modem?

can you borrow a lap top with an Ethernet port to do a proper speed test? 

Next id go through the troubleshooting process including checking for line noise.

can you try another router? If you've one of the older Plus Net fibre set ups you may be eligible for a free replacement router. You'll need to check with one of the plus net staff to see if you are eligible.

good luck ! 

Cyberi4n

Don’t k ow anyone with a windows laptop, that’s the problem Sad

It IS a separate openreach modem, and it’s a Technicolor branded TG582n

I have a dongle at work that I could probably borrow for my Mac - so I’ll try that over the next few days and see if I can rule out WiFi issues.

My gut is telling me it’s a problem with the green box, or the wiring into the house, as this has been a previous problem area. But until I can eliminate the WiFi as the cause.....

It’s such a shame that the onus is on me to prove that the gear I’ve been supplied ISNT faulty, rather than the provider to prove it’s not at their end....
runhare
Aspiring Pro

Unfortunately - for you anyway -  the onus is on you to prove none of your equipment is at fault unless you are prepared to risk a call out charge. 

If you think about it you own all of the equipment inside your property, including the router and modem which have been given to you by Plus Net after their warranty expires. 

On the positive side I know of a number of people who've had issues with the TG 852n router recently, including myself, and if I were you I'd ask PN if you can have a newer plus net hub one combined modem router. ( do that anyway) You'll probably need to pay a P&P charge and agree to remain with PN for a further 12 to 18 months or so, or you can buy a second hand one from eBay. A BT Home Hub Mk 5 is meant to be a good alternative .

Kevin
Rising Star

But make sure it's a Home Hub 5 B and not a 5 A, the A version is well known for dropping session regularly every few days.

Kevin.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

Don't even think about either models of Home Hub 5. The replacement BT Smarthub 6 is superior and can be bought cheaply on Ebay.

The Plusnet Hub One is a Home Hub 5A with a different colour case and Plusnet branded firmware.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Your'e ahead of me there @Baldrick1 - I have yet to see a SmartHub 6!

Baldrick1

@Cyberi4n

This could be a WiFi issue.

Have you checked whether there are other WiFi transmissions using the same frequency as you? I use an Android app called WiFi Analyser. If this shows that neighbours are using the same frequency as you then you can manually change the channel you are using in the router settings. Alternatively if you get a more modern router and providing your Macs support it you could start using the 5GHz band. If you go down this route then it's worth going in to the router set up and seperating the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Rename the 5GHz band by adding 5 to the name.

@runhare

Look on Ebay. The wireless performance is excellent. You just have to make sure that you buy the FTTC version. This is the model that does NOT have a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the yellow LAN sockets.

Moderator and Customer

azc
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BT Smart Hub type 6A is for ADSL/FTTC, 6B (with the Red WAN sticker) for FTTP

Cyberi4n

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! Much appreciated.  I'll try to answer as many as I can....

@Baldrick1 Already tried that channel route. I've changed the channel several times, however I'm relatively lucky in that I live in a detached house so I'm not picking up any other networks in the area. I WAS concerned that the neighbours girls (who used to babysit our little girl) were surfing in after I gave them access one night, so as a precaution I've changed both the network name and the password. I've also audited all the connected devices and reduced the list massively just to be on the safe side.

Hub

===

Was the general consensus that the smarthub 6A is the one to go for? I can see a few on eBay for around the £45 mark, which isn't a huge hit to be fair. Firstly though I'll grab my adapter from work and try a wired connection direct to the modem. As i recall though, from another troubleshooting incident (albeit with an older mac which I no longer have) there was a problem getting the mac to talk to the modem - in the end customer support gave up. 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi there @Cyberi4n I am sorry you are having issues.

Testing is showing no issues so we would ideally need some tests ran on a wired connection ans see if the same problem persists. If you manage to give the adapter a go just let us know

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1

Cyberi4n wrote:

Was the general consensus that the smarthub 6A is the one to go for? I can see a few on eBay for around the £45 mark, which isn't a huge hit to be fair. 

If you're going to buy a spare router then yes, get a FTTC Smarthub 6. If it is only shown as boxed on Ebay then the BT Item Code for the one you want is 084316. This is marked on the outside of the box and is often readable from the online photos.

Moderator and Customer