Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n firmware upgrade

Steve_L

Technicolor TG582n firmware upgrade

I'm experiencing the same problems described in post:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/DNS-Issues/td-p/1293473

I see that a remote router firmware upgrade has solved the problem for others. This was done by Bob Pullen or Chris.

Would it be possible to apply the firmware upgrade for me please

7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Technicolor TG582n firmware upgrade

Hi Steve,

A warm welcome to the forums.

To be clear, you are using WIn10 and are seeing IP addresses resolving to 198.18.1.* ?

This is not a firmware revision, rather a change of router configuration which you can do yourself as described here ... https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134916.msg1298207.html#msg1298207

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Steve_L

No, I'm on W7 but seeing regular failures that I think are DNS issues, when I can ping IP addresses but not visit websites. Also getting increasingly frequent disconnections of devices on my local network

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Right, you really do need to confirm this is the same issue, otherwise the configuration change will not help you.

The symptoms are you suddenly find that you cannot access a web site.

Pinging the URL reports an IP address of 198.18.1.* - which is a SPOOFED IP address.  This configuration change switches off IP SPOOFING - if you are not seeing 198.18.1.* IP addresses when you look at this problem, this fix will not help you.

This issues is not so prevalent on W7 (I did not discover it until I started Win8.0 upgrades) which does its DNS caching differently to Win8/8.1/10 in which I have seen pages fail to load and load successfully concurrently in separate browser windows.

I think you need to do some more diagnostics when you have the problem.  Run PINGS to the failing IP addresses and try doing NSLOOKUP to see how the DNS resolves the URL.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Steve_L

Ok thanks. I'll check that next time it happens. If the issue isn't solvable easily I may end up just switching providers as the internet connection drops completely pretty often meaning I need to restart my router

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If the BB drops that is more than likely going to be YOUR line ... which would stay with you even if you move ISPs.

Suggest that you look at the BB fault checker - see below.

Steve_L

Will do, thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

My tests down your line aren't detecting any issues at all.

Let us know how you get on with the checks has advised of.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet