Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n firmware updates

deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Technicolor TG582n firmware updates

Hi, just checking in again to see if there's any recommendation to update my firmware on my router for security reasons?
I'm still on 8.C.M.0 and have no issues myself, but I'm conscious that holes are found over time. It's been some time since I've had this and I note others have newer firmware. I'd rather not update and risk issues from updating or rather have to reconfigure everything (if it aint broke, don't fix it), but just want to make sure I'm not wide open to some vulnerability.
Would we get notification or a remote update from PlusNet if there was a vulnerability anyway?
Oh, and then there's ipv6 which I think isn't enabled in the router. I'm guessing I still don't need to care about this? Does any home user need to be bothered about ipv6?
Cheers,
Tim.
5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Technicolor TG582n firmware updates

Plusnet does not presently support ipv6.
Newer Plusnet firmwares can be found here for TG582n.  The 10.x firmwares are ipv6 ready.
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
deadkenny
Rising Star

Question remains, should I consider newer firmware from a security point of view?
I don't like updating firmware on devices unless it's absolutely necessary, but I'd like to know if there's a risk by not updating.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm not aware of any security issues, but to be clear do you mean Wireless or WAN?
deadkenny
Rising Star

Just anything. I know about previous concerns about WPS where it may be exposing the serial number, so changed the default password (which was the serial number!) and turned off WPS.
Other than that you hear things about this and that vulnerability in various technologies and particular versions of libraries or kernels commonly used by devices and thus some routers become vulnerable to hacks and need an update.
As I say, I'm just checking in the make sure I'm fine sitting on the version I'm running..
Or, can I be reassured that if there was an issue customers would be contacted about an update, or even would an update be pushed out automatically?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Plusnet have not notified any security issues with TG582n firmware (as I think they may have done with the 585) AFAIK. They have certainly not pushed firmware updates automatically and are unlikely to do so as far as the TG582n is concerned. Updates have been pushed where users have requested one (or where Faults have identified the need - few AFAIK), where it's been needed for other reasons (eg. ADSL noise immunity/stability, compatibility with IPTV, also IPv6 readiness.).
As far as wireless is concerned see http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/secure_home_network.shtml?supporta=wifisecu...