cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582N DHCP Unwanted Host Name Derived

plusbg
Grafter

Technicolor TG582N DHCP Unwanted Host Name Derived

Hello - I installed Centos on my new server at home. I run Mint on my Laptop (Both Linux).
I have a bog standard issue Plusnet Technicolor Router and I have fibre.
I installed Centos and ended up with a hostname of "Mint" - when I came to the login prompt in terminal I get:
Mint Login:
(the system is definitely running CentOS however).
Is the host name somehow being taken from the router? There is no other equipment involved other than the Plusnet router, my laptop and the server.
Thanks 🙂 and Kind Regards,
Plusbg.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Technicolor TG582N DHCP Unwanted Host Name Derived

What does hostname in the Centos Terminal show?
If its wrong modify your /etc/sysconfig/network and add or change the correct hostname
HOSTNAME=host_name_you_want
Save the changes and then :
# service network restart
You may also want to modify your /etc/host file as well if you change the /etc/sysconfig/network HOSTNAME.
plusbg
Grafter

Hello Mook - brilliant answer and this is what I did.
I was having some weird problems with Asterisk and FreePBX though which may or may not be related - namely that the upgrade was not going through correctly and the GUI was not displaying with correct CSS. I'm actually trying to get to the bottom of what caused my CentOS to end up with a Mint Host name in the first place - your answer was spot on though in what I initially did to remedy the issue (all be it that I was still having problems with Asterisk/FreePBX that may or may not be related). More than aesthetics, I am concerned that the GUI not displaying correctly will be the sign of other instabilities within the system. I ended up with Apache issues, document root not being found and a fair few others.
I have looked on Google for information on these issues under a multitude of search terms and i'm drawing a blank on the cause.
But, how, is the CentOS Server acquiring a Mint Host Name when it is not deliberately set up to do so?
Many thanks for taking the time to look at this.
plusbg.
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you installed CentOS did you have your Laptop on?
Feel free to post a new thread for your other issues, providing as much information as possible of course.  Wink
plusbg
Grafter

Yes, I did have the laptop on - I use it as a "day to day" laptop 🙂
Ah - I wouldn't have thought anybody on here would want me moaning about third party stuff?
Thanks Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that's odd. And to be honest I can't really explain that one, maybe someone else will be able to help.
As regards your third party issues you'd be surprised at how many diverse and talented people there are on these forums.
plusbg
Grafter

Thanks very much Mook 🙂 Well I just manually edited it and it seems ok 🙂 I'll bear in mind what you say 🙂