cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Talk router - Fibre?

superuser
Grafter

Re: Talk Talk router - Fibre?

I didn't do anything as yet. Sorry. I don't want to fiddle too much in case it has a negative effect.
Actually I managed to setup my static LAN IP's and the router is working OK
I don't do gaming and my requirements are few. Though I'm unimpressed with the locked down nature of the router, it will do for now
I just don't understand why PN bother shipping stuff that so many people will end up ditching (I will at some point)
I will be moving the modem and router. I have a 10m rj11 extension to put in from the master to the modem and a 15m rj45 CAT5e to add from the modem to the router.
This
1. moves all the but ugly gear out of the lounge to what we call an undercroft
2. relocates it to a good central location for wireless distribution
3. will give me the option to easily add eth0 to rooms if required
When I move things next week, I'll give the TT router another go
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I hope that 10m RJ11 cable is twisted pair ie made from Cat5 or higher spec. There are too many RJ11 cables around that are made from cheap flat telephone cable and that would have a negative effect on the Fibre speed (as bad as your extension using old bell wire).
I agree with your sentiments about the locked down router!
Quote from: superuser
......... I don't want to fiddle too much in case it has a negative effect........

There's no rush to do anything, you go at your own pace. Fiddling with the Router ideally you can (and should) do with it not connected to anything except the computer you are using to configure it. When examining the configuration of another router, it's best to reboot the computer after you've connected the computer to it, so that the computer picks up the correct Router settings.
Where you want to disconnect a router from the modem, or disconnect the modem, this is where you need to be more careful.
The safest way is to log into the Router and click Disconnect on the Internet Interface to drop the PPP session - this helps avoid any potential issues with stale sessions, wait about 30 seconds then power off the router. Wait about 30 seconds and then power off the Modem. Never just unplug the modem from the line. After about a minute you can unplug it and change whatever is needed.
Turning back on is the reverse. Connect the Modem and power up, when it's booted and synced and the lights stabilised, power up the Router, when it's booted, you may need to log into it and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
alegeek
Grafter

Sorry this is a bit vague, but I am not able to verify exactly the device, but the image here is definitely the same as mine

Is anyone familiar with it compatibility with PN
If it requires the open reach modem

When I was previously with Plusnet, I used their super router on my fibre connection.
You just need to change it from automatic to manual under the connection settings and input your plusnet username and password.
superuser
Grafter

So you still used the openreach modem and connected it the TT router in the Red Fibre socket?
The two manual options are adsl and fibre in the config
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion

Is this modem/router the HG633, I'm guessing it's not?
@theoddbot
If not, do you know anything about the HG633?
alegeek
Grafter

So you still used the openreach modem and connected it the TT router in the Red Fibre socket?

No, I didn't use the BT Modem Smiley
alegeek
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone

@theoddbot
If not, do you know anything about the HG633?

Yes Smiley It's a while since I used it but i'll gladly try and answer any questions.
superuser
Grafter

At login it says its: DSL-3780
superuser
Grafter

At login it says its: DSL-3780

There is review here
http://www.trustedreviews.com/talktalk-fibre-router-review
Anotherone
Champion

IIRC a manual for the DSL-3780 is readily available (the interest in the HG633 was elsewhere).
Anotherone
Champion

@theoddbot
Could you please see this, if you add your knowledge, may thanks.
superuser
Grafter

Had a quick go this AM
But no go
TBH I'm not totally sure which way to go about it
I had to power off the BT Modem. Now my speed hit the floor
Wonderful
Anotherone
Champion

Why did you have to power off the BT Modem? You really only need to do that if you want to make changes that will cause sync loss. My reply #16 above was in the context of you changing cables between the master socket and the Modem. I realise it could have been better worded for just playing with Routers.
If just playing with Routers, all you need to do is click Disconnect to drop the PPP session first and then power it off and unplug it from the BT Modem if you are going to swap it with another router. If you just want to play with another Router configuration, just unplug your computer from one router and plug it into another one and reboot the computer.
I am however mystified as to why your "speed hit the floor". Did you power off in daylight hours? Can you run the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Edit: Note - the DSL-3780 is NOT a Fibre Modem/Router.  It is an ADSL(2+)  Modem/Router or a Fibre Router.  I think the device theoddbot mentioned was probably a different "super-router".
superuser
Grafter

Actually as it turned out all was well
Just my wireless freaked out on my box
I'll look at this again one my new cables arrive, and yes, they are up to standard.
superuser
Grafter

For now, with my new wiring in place, I'm just using this vendor locked router from PN
It actually seems OK for my needs ATM and I just don't have the time to fiddle.
Actually speed has improved since replacing my RJ11 from Master to Modem (BT had put in some crappy basic flat telephone wire)
All cables are now CAT 5e shielded