cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Talk router - Fibre?

superuser
Grafter

Talk Talk router - Fibre?

Sorry this is a bit vague, but I am not able to verify exactly the device, but the image here is definitely the same as mine

Is anyone familiar with it compatibility with PN
If it requires the open reach modem
30 REPLIES 30
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Talk Talk router - Fibre?

A bit weird looking - surely that socket labelled "Fibre" should be labelled "WAN"?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I haven't managed to locate any data on this router as yet, but the red socket labelled Fibre does look like an Ethernet socket and I would assume therefore needs the Openreach modem.
The obvious would be to look at the cable provided for that socket (presumably with a red plug) - what does it have on the other end? - another ethernet plug or if it's an RJ11 plug then the box may contain a Fibre modem.
The better solution would be to plug your computer into it, power it up (but not connected to any line or modem), reboot the computer to pick up the relevant IP address from the router, log into it and see what the configuration is.
You will need somewhere that you can put in your Plusnet username and password, whether or not it's got a modem for Fibre or is just a router.
Other aspects of configuration should indicate if it's just a router or if it's a Fibre modem/router - my guess is it's just a router for Fibre as it has an ADSL socket which won't be vDSL compatible.
superuser
Grafter

I have looked last week
Will check again
IIRC it has in the wizard, radio selections for
1. adsl
2. fibre
Only considering using it, if it's possible, because it actually gives a good wireless signal over levels compared to the PN one and I can set a static IP on my LAN for certain devices. I couldn't see that in the PN router.
oldbaldeagle
Grafter

Hi
I used one of these on Plusnet ADSL as it worked infinitely better for me than the Technicolor effort which Plusnet used to provide.
Subsequently I've upgraded to FTTC and could not get it to work.  I plugged the cable from the BT modem into the 'Fibre' port.  Its gone to recycling now along with the Technicolor thing!  I am 99% sure that there was no cable with red plugs on when TalkTalk originally supplied it.
If you want to give it a try, you will need to go to the menu on the router called 'Advanced Users' to input your Plusnet user name and password.
Hope this helps
Jon
superuser
Grafter

Thanks Jon, appreciated
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion

If the PN one you have there is the 2704n, you need to login to http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html where you can set up static IPs, but I suggest you have a read of some of the threads on this on the hardware board, it's not versatile, is tied down somewhat by PN's modified Firmware, and it has issues, wireless is not so hot either. It's OK as a basic router (or modem/router for those on ADSL - the ADSL chipset is very good I have to say - latest broadcom IIRC).
@oldbaldeagle
If that was the 582n (as opposed to the 585), apart from being a bit of a pig to customise and the wireless not being too hot in some circumstances, it was otherwise an excellent modem/router for a budget one, and if you were technically able with the CLI commands, it could be extensively customised.
superuser
Grafter

I may then have to invest in a new router.
Any suggestions?
Would it be better to purchase with a view to making the BT modem obsolete?
I did see a thread linked here somewhere but can't just see it now.
I was thinking Billion or such like
Anotherone
Champion

Bearing in mind your other thread on the "extension wiring", I wouldn't go rushing into anything just yet. Atm I'm not clear on why this TalkTalk box should not work as a Router! It needs someone more familiar with them to come here and comment.
You should consider what your future requirements might be (eg. whether you need IPTV, gigabit ports, Network storage capability etc) unless budget isn't a real limitation when you might ultimately want to splash out on what will do for now and get something different later.
If you want some "light" reading about modem/routers there's threads on the Hardware board as well as a few scattered about on the Fibre one (there are some older ones on the ADSL board - Fibre and ADSL were only split into two boards around a year ago and few of the older Fibre threads were moved to the new Fibre board).
superuser
Grafter

Agreed. No rush.
I'll most likely invest in a better router that can handle more devices and provides a better wireless signal.
As for the TT router, I'll check that out once I get back home
I'll likely keep the BT modem but I'm looking at placing the router by my box by putting in CAT5e, even though it's a tricky run.
superuser
Grafter

Though I am still considering if I can use the bell wire extension with the pair that feed the modem rj11 on the bt master
My main worry is all the fiddling will get me synced down
So for now I have just left it be
Anotherone
Champion

I'll cover the wiring issue in the other thread.
oldbaldeagle
Grafter

Thanks Anotherone
Unfortunately I'm not a techy type so my ideal router is one I can plug in and leave alone.  I have absolutely no idea, I'm afraid, what CLI Commands are!! 
From a non-techy point of view, the Technicolor router was extremely frustrating as I found it nigh on impossible to achieve a reliable internet connection, despite contacting Tech Support who mentioned something about Atheros and talking me through changing some settings on 2 laptops.  The TalkTalk router just worked, hence I abandoned the Technicolor one and went back to the TalkTalk router which carried on working as I wanted it to until the recent fibre upgrade.
I was a little suspicious about the Thomson router I got when I changed to fibre, but this worked fine with lots a flashing lights & strangely attractive red feet.  Sadly, being white(ish), it did not meet with 'er indoors' requirements, so I am now using a Homehub 4 which meets her requirements in being black, and meets mine by getting on with the job without, up to now at least, any input from myself!!
Cheers
Jon
superuser
Grafter

This is a quick look at it logged in
Anotherone
Champion

@oldbaldeagle
It does sound like you were unlucky and Tech support never found the cause of the problem as the 582n is very capable of giving stable connections. There is one user round here whose connection had been up for over a year and that on a long rural line. I've had connections for over 90 days with mine when I'm not fiddling or away.
@superuser
That show it currently set for ADSL. Try the Fibre setup and see what the following and resultant screens show. If all looks good, you could then test it as a Router (as opposed to modem/router) using that Red socket which does look like an Ethernet port.