cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP Link VR900 or Billion router?

barbieg43
Grafter

TP Link VR900 or Billion router?

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to set up these routers please. I can't remember the billion router version number , it's the one with 2 bands . I have read the review for the TP Link one which sounds ok. Are they easy to set up for a novice, and are there any tutorials anywhere ? I upgraded to Fibre last week and the router PN supply has already lost connection once, so really want a decent and reliable router.
19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: TP Link VR900 or Billion router?

the Billion was a doddle
However are you sure that it was the router which lost connection to the modem rather than the modem losing connection
barbieg43
Grafter

Yes, the lights were on the modem, so I presumed it was the router although certain web sites opened and others didn't . I could see how many emails I had, but couldn't get to them. It was really odd. I had to sign in again to the plusnet router.  I need something that's reliable and easy to set up as I don't have have anyone that can help me, family live miles away, and I'm an oldie!
lenny
Grafter

Billion BiPAC 8800axl is that what your trying to remember
barbieg43
Grafter

Yes, that's the one.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

barbieg43
Grafter

Oh, that explains it. It was this morning I had the problem so it obviously wasn't the router. I still want to change it though so any info would be really helpful.
lenny
Grafter

I have just bought the 8800axl and as I all ready use a billion 7800n on my adsl I new that setting up was very simple, once you get used to the router software they are a pleasure  to set up ,
I have tried the 8800axl and the WiFi duel band was easy to set up , my wife's laptop used 2.4g and my tablet and phone 5g,setting up your own password  is straight forward
barbieg43
Grafter

What order did you switch off the router and the BT modem? Can you switch them both off together or the modem first? I seem to think I read somewhere to switch the modem off first and leave it for 30mins? I was using a BT home hub 4 before I upgraded to fibre and had my iPad on 5 , MacBook on 5 and desktop on 2.5 and it worked well. Because you've stayed with Billion does that mean you really rate them over anything else?
lenny
Grafter

I have not had my fibre switched over yet ,I don't get it till next Wednesday,  I find that with the billion routers I get a better download sync , my be something  to do with the broadcom chip that matches the exchange better
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Regarding switching
My recommendation is to go into the router interface and click on disconnect then leave it for a couple of minutes then pull the power lead out of the modem rather than disconnecting it from the phone socket
The theory behind the last bit is that the modem sends a dying gasp signal when the power fails and then it isn't seen as a line problem by the dynamic line management system
barbieg43
Grafter

Thank you, I will write it down so I'm ready to go when I make my decision on the router.. I'd already found out my exchange uses the Broadcom chip, that's why I was interested in the Billion routers . Then I read about the TP Link one being Broadcom chip and I can't make up my mind which one to get. I can't afford to make a mistake.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I was using a BT home hub 4 before I upgraded to fibre
Your HH4 can still be used with Fibre , see here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135840.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

barbieg43
Grafter

Yes, I had seen that and it's still a possibility  but I think the Billion 8800axl or the TP Link VR900 would be better regarding the Wifi round the house.
Almanac

I've got the VR900. It has exceeded expectations. Easy to set up (just make sure you choose "Plusnet_VDSL" as your ISP and enter your username and password) . Lots of options. Wireless ac about the same as an AirPort Extreme. Even looks quite good.
I used to like Billion but they may have gone downhill recently. The last Billion I had - the 8800NL - was awful. Constant crashes. Even its reset button was missing - you went to press it and your pin went straight into the innards of the device. Not good.
I would go for TP-Link, Asus or AVM. Definitely stay away from the BT Home Hub.