Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link TD-W9980 - Router Crashing

nimdy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

TP-Link TD-W9980 - Router Crashing

Hi all. I bought a TD-W9980 from Amazon a few months ago. All seemed fine for a while but recently it started to drop its WiFi connection. When this happens the wired connections are maintained (i have a small media centre PC connected via ethernet) so the internet connection itself is being maintained. The only fix seems to be to restart the router. I contacted Amazon to get a replacement as I believed it to be faulty. The new one has the same fault. I know I can't complain to Plusnet as I have bought a 3rd party router, but I was wondering if anyone here on the forums has the same model and problems, or knows if there is anything I can do to fix it. Or can anyone recommend a rock-solid but cost effective router?
3 REPLIES 3
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: TP-Link TD-W9980 - Router Crashing

Strange been using that same router for nearly a year and not had that issue.
Try a factory reset and then setup everything again (DON'T RESTORE the settings just incase they contain the problem)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Not the only one with the problem apparently http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?83820-W9980-WiFi-drop-out
Not sure if trying changing the wifi channel ( and disabling auto-detect? ) might be useful...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Do you know if both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz wireless networks are affected? Or is it only one of them? They should be entirely separate, if one breaks, the other should continue working.