cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-LINK ARCHER C9

tommo1968

TP-LINK ARCHER C9

Just purchased this wireless router to make use of the 802.11ac speeds and signal strengths and plugged it in and set up. After re-initializing I get the following from the browser.

You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons. You must now shut down your internet browser and internet applications before attempting to reconnect. This may clear the issue immediately, if not then please select the appropriate action from list below.
• Your service provider is currently unable to accept your connection request, please wait and reattempt later or contact your service provider for more information.
Or
• You have attempted to access an invalid Service Provider domain, check your user details.
Or
• You are testing your connection using bt_test_user@startup_domain. Please proceed to next step as advised by your Service Provider
Or
• You are testing your connection to your service provider using bt_test_user@domain. where "domain" is your Service Provider domain name. Please proceed to next step as advised by your Service Provider.
Or
• The access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down. Your service should be resumed soon. Please try again later or contact your Service Provider
Page maintained by BTWholesale
Any clues? Thanks in advance.
33 REPLIES 33
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: TP-LINK ARCHER C9

The messages sound like Authentication problems, can you double-check your PPPoE login username (typically 'yourusername'@plusdsl.net) and password (should be the same as your member centre login password).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tommo1968

Thought I had put that in will double check tonight when i get back from work, thanks for the response.
mav:quote
strayfish
Grafter

Did that work? I've got exactly that browser message. You didn't come back so I hope so, I'm going to try that solution anyway because I know I didn't use the full adsl user name.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

I use an Archer C7 and it works well.

However,  the C series archer routers are "cable routers" which do not have internal VDSL modems.

Are you using an external VDSL modem like the Openreach HG612?

Richard

strayfish
Grafter

I've got the modem plus net supplied and the router is connected to that. I had an internet connection briefly, it seemed, but when I tried to connnect to wifi on my phone, that web page came up and after that I couldn't access the net on either of my PCs. 

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Hi just to fully understand the situation...

You are using an Openreach modem, and not a plusnet hub one, between thel wall socket and the archer c9?

I doubt that the hub one can be set to modem only mode, so will be still functioning as a router.

Richard

strayfish
Grafter

Yes. The Openreach modem is at the phone inlet exactly as the Plusnet engineer installed it when I upgraded to fibre. The router they supplied is a Technicolor single band unit that has been superseded by their Hub One. I chose not to have the Hub One because its reviews were poor, and chose the Archer instead although Plusnet advised they wouldn't be able to support me with it if I had problems, advice that's beginning to sound more like a threat! The TP-Link connected to the internet successfully but it appears Plusnet may not be letting it communicate with them as my ISP - OR the user name I gave isn't correct and should be more like the one used in email configurations (the one with adsl in it). That's where I think I am at the moment anyway, if you have any other thoughts I'd be very happy to be advised, it's annoying the heck out of me!

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

What does the archer c9 status page report?

does it show a connection?

see the 192.168.0.1 landing page after logging in.

is the WAN section populated with ip address dns address  etc?

strayfish
Grafter

I can't connect to that at the moment, I'm back on the old router, but the status page ticked all the boxes throughout the setup process and the icon on the unit turned from orange to blue so there didn't seem to be anything amiss there. I'm bracing myself for another go at it later today so I'm going to make sure your question is on my phone then I can check it out and come back with some answers. Hopefully, the answer will be that it's resolved but, y'know - life?!

strayfish
Grafter

Ok, no numbers filled in. I'd assumed it didn't need any because it didn't tell me where to find the information and it also let me move to the next page. Now I've found some numbers but apparently the IP address conflicts with the LAN address so I've lifted a bunch of info from my other PC, sent it to my phone, and I'm going to try them till it gives in!

strayfish
Grafter

Darn it - achieved internet connection but still that block. I'm at a bit of a loss now.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

The WAN numbers are automatically supplied by the plusnet server when you achieve a successful PPP login.

The evidence points to an incorrect username or password.

your login details should have been emailed when you signed up to PN.

The username is xxxxx@plusdsl.net where xxxxx= your login name to the PN member centre.

The password is the same you use to login to the PN member centre.

These details should be entered in the archer c9 NETWORK WAN page.

strayfish
Grafter

Hm, I think I've done the login thing properly but quite possibly after I fiddled with the WAN settings! Right - I'll get on it tomorrow. And thank you - whether I get this sorted or not, I'm very grateful for the clear, easy-to-follow advice you're giving. 

Incidentally, when I used the quick set up route and auto-detect for the IP address type, it gave me 'static', but when I went into that section from the TP-link dashboard and used auto-detect there, it gave me PPPoP/Russia. Odd and also slightly alarming!

strayfish
Grafter

I've given up. I'll have a go at Plusnet to see if they'll help although they said they wouldn't so I'm not holding out much hope. I get internet capability but always that same information page which I assume is Plusnet not letting me through the gate. Looks like I may end up with a Hub One whether I like it or not.