Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n dropping PPP link

kanedaa
Dabbler

TG582n dropping PPP link

Hi all,

Long post but in short, I'm trying to figure out if my router is on the blink or something else is causing my internet connection to drop.

For over a week now my (2yrs old) TG582n has been dropping the PPP Link connection daily, sometimes multiple times (5 plus last Sunday). It immediately reconnects in 90% of cases (so is usually back up inside of a minute or two), but every now and then the router is actually rebooting as I lose all network connectivity. I've caught it doing this twice for sure.

The actual line sync on the modem side is rock solid (32 days uptime currently). No drops whatsoever. The only thing I have noticed is that sometime in the past month G.INP appears to have been enabled (presumably 32 days ago unless they can enabled it without a resync).

Back to the router. Sadly the TG582n logs are [-Censored-] (it resets them every time it makes a new connection, so I can never see any detail of when it loses the connection) so any troubleshooting has been done mostly blind so far.

I monitored it at first. Then I powered down the router for 10mins but this had no affect. After that I did a factory reset and that gave me my first connection of more than 24hrs in over a week. Unfortunately that also reset the DNS to Plus.net's own servers and undid the WANDown Spoofing fix. Neither of which I could live with for long so I applied the fix and switched to Google's DNS servers. I also turned off WPS. It seemed okay but then once again I lost the PPP link.

Now though I'm also seeing a decrease a speed. It's gone from 73Mbps to 72Mbps - not much but I've been running speedtests every time a new link is made and this is the first time it's dropped.

And just to confirm once again - my modem's connection is stable. No loss of sync. My IP profile is unchanged, so the speed drop is either on the router side or Plus.net.

I know the TG582n is considered to be a POS, so is mine finally giving up the ghost or is there another potential cause?

2 REPLIES 2
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: TG582n dropping PPP link

Is the router just dropping the connection or is it rebooting?

If it is rebooting, do you have another power supply to try out? (Most routers use the same type of power supply so you may have an old one about; just check the labels on each to make sure there are the same voltage, pin type, current).

Also is the router too warm to the touch? There could be a build up of dust internally causing it to get too warm and reboot.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
kanedaa
Dabbler

Re: TG582n dropping PPP link

I think it has rebooted once or twice but the majority of the time that I catch it happening it's just the connection.

I'd say it's normal temperature. Warm but not overly so. I've just given it a good dust and blown through the vents but nothing came out. I might try some compressed air later.