cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n DNS issues

lemo

TG582n DNS issues

Hi.
I have been having problems loading websites for a few weeks. Websites that are usually very reliable like google, amazon etc would sometimes need to be refreshed a few times to load. Some sites would load up fine but fail to display images. Sites like youtube would often fail to load all the thumbnail previews. I tried different browsers, disabling ad blockers etc etc.
A week or two ago I changed the DNS servers in windows and everything has been running fine since.
I have searched through the forums and found some mention of plusnet dns issues especially when using a TG582n router. I don't know if it the router or dns servers at fault but would like to know if anyone is looking into this. A lot of customers must be struggling with a broken internet as they would not know to change the DNS settings.
My TG582n router provides a rock solid connection when the DNS is changed so it would be nice to have a firmware update that enables dns settings to be changed.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: TG582n DNS issues

you can change them but not through the web interface http://npr.me.uk/
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Just to add to Oldjim's post, using telnet to configure the router's DNS settings is not as difficult as it first appears. There's also some scripts on that site to help those less confident using telnet commands.
To change the routers DNS settings I would recommend method 2) here:
http://npr.me.uk/changedns.html
lemo

The replies are much appreciated and so are the pre made scripts Smiley
Why are you recommending the second method please? I do not understand the difference between the two. I have read the page a few times. Are the two methods two different ways of getting the same final settings or are they different configurations?
Also, is there any advantage to using google dns over opendns? I have used both in the past and had no trouble with any of them?
Thanks again.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Method 1)
This is the default method used by most routers.
It issues it's own gateway IP address, to the devices, as the DNS server and then relays the requests to the specified DNS resolvers. You can check this by using ipconfig /all in a connected windows machine -- you'll see the dns server address is 192.168.1.254.
It's though but not proved that this dns relay can add to delays or even errors in the dns lookup.
Method 2)
This method configures the routers DHCP server to issue the dns IP addresses directly to the connected devices. Thus bypassing the routers dns relay and any possible issues that that may add. Again you can check this by using ipconfig /all -- if this method has been used you'll see the device is using the dns IP addresses you've assigned and not the routers gateway.
Note:
This issue is not just with the TG582n, I've been using a Huawei router which contains a small DNS resolver assigned to it's gateway IP address. That has proved to be terribly slow making it essential to configure each connected device with it's dns settings.
As for google v opendns, I don't thing there's much to chose between then.
opendns has the advantage of not being google Wink the disadvantage of sometimes routing to Amsterdam.
google may be slightly more reliable, but has been known to point to CDN servers in France.
Another option is to use a PN resolver as primary and google or opendns as secondary.
HTH
lemo

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me npr. I owe you a beer sir  Smiley